Tubeless CX tires on Pacenti TL28

donboogie
donboogie Posts: 75
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
I just signed up for the Paris to Ancaster race. It's supposed to be a 70km mix of asphalt, gravel, farm lanes, trails and mud. Unpredictable weather.

I have a 29er hardtail with the Pacenti TL28 rims, and was thinking about installing some tubeless CX tires. Thinking 35 or 40 with not too much tread. Thinking WTB Cross Boss may be a good choice.

Does anyone have a recommendation for tires? Also, has anyone tried running tubeless CX tires with these rims?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    35 may well be hard to get to inflate, I'd stick to something around a 40-45mm, the two tyres that spring to mind are a Smart Sam or Small Block 8, the former if there is likely to be mud, the latter if it will be drier is my thinking.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • are we sure that CX tyres are faster than a like MTB tyre?

the rolling tests that i've seen don't show huge differnces between road slicks and fast XC MTB tyres.

Though that is with out wind just rolling resistance it's self.
  • Thanks, maybe I will reconsider CX. In terms of regular MTB tires, I was looking at Racing Ralph or Thunder Burt (either in 29 x 2.1, SnakeSkin, TL Easy). Any comments on setting these up tubeless or in general would be appreciated.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    are we sure that CX tyres are faster than a like MTB tyre?

the rolling tests that i've seen don't show huge differnces between road slicks and fast XC MTB tyres.

Though that is with out wind just rolling resistance it's self.
    There is a rolling resistance improvement from narrower tyres (pumped up harder) on smoother surfaces, but yes, it is the aero difference that is far and away most significant.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.