Can you compare AL bikes to their carbon sibling?

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
edited January 2016 in Road buying advice
The Focus Cayo Disc 3.0 is getting rave reviews.
For long winded reasons I'm hanging on for the Cayo AL disc 105, as my new winter hack.

I have a feeling winter is going to start soon, while the new Focus is nowhere to be seen.
In the meantime I'm very much aware of other bikes passing me by.

Am I kidding myself that the AL we be a bloody good bike, based mainly on the, different specced, carbon version?

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I've not looked at the specs of the bikes but typically the aluminium versions of carbon bikes come with different components (wheels in particular but group sets too often). In which case, about the only things the two bikes have in common is their geometry and their name. Unless there's something particular about the geometry you like (or I'm wrong about the components), I'd look for something that's available now that you can test ride.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    It can depend. Buy most accounts, the CAAD10 and SuperSix Evo frames were very, very similar in feel. I don't know what people think of the Emonda ALR versus the equivalent carbon frame. And some reviews seem to put the Canyon Ultimate AL ahead of the CF frame for feel. In all of the above instances, there isn't too much difference in the weight (150g?) but the specs are a tier higher for the alu version versus the carbon.