Newbie help.

Zenn
Zenn Posts: 2
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi folks.

So, I'm pushing 40 and I would like to get in better shape. I work long hours, busy family life and don't really get any excercise, so I'm not very fit. Honestly I know nothing about modern cycling, I haven't ridden a bike regularly since I was 17 years old (and that was single speed), but I'd like to try to take the time to go on a few rides a week.

I live in the South Wales valleys, so lots of nice scenery, but also lots of hills (seriously, we find flat land and build rugby pitches on it, a good steep hill we build houses). I'll be riding exclusively on roads. So what should I be looking for in a bike? Any recommendations that won't land me in A&E? Obviously I don't want to spend a fortune, I'd like to see how it goes before I really invest in it.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hi there and welcome back to cycling! If I was you, I would be looking at the Btwin range. They do great bikes...that are also less than £500. Then, buy yourself some decent shorts/tights (the DHB range from Wiggle are a great option) and take it from there. Try and get out as often as you can (say 2-3 times a week) and, to build your confidence up, try simple loops of about 10 miles. That way, you can call it quits when you have had enough for the day (or keep going and do another loop if you fancy it). Keep an eye on the weather, only fools go out on road bikes when there is ice about so always err on the side of caution.

Strava is very good and simple to use with a smart phone. It will help you track your progress, albeit sometimes a bit too accurately :)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    As above, clothing is important, although bib shorts / tights seem strange they fit very well and are comfortable. Best to have a few thin layers you can change as it gets warmer / colder. Decathlon do a good range of value for money clothing to get you going as well. Also don't forget spare inner tubes, pump and tyre levers ir it could be a long walk home with a puncture.

Most of all enjoy it.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    At this time of year it's very important to try and stay reasonably warm and visible to other road users. In addition to the items noted by previous posters you should budget for shoes/ pedals and warm overshoes & gloves - it will be cold through until March on the road. Also make sure you have decently bright lights front and back - I see too many people out with nothing or token efforts which are virtually impossible to see - don't risk it!

Whether you buy your bike off a mate/ on line/ fleabay/ from a local bike shop, I'd recommend you go to your local bike shop and offer to pay a nominal amount to have a very basic bike fit carried out. May seem over the top but it should be tremendously helpful in getting your set up sorted out properly - this will make sitting on the bike for any length of time much less potentially problematic.

Good luck and don't go out because your schedule says you have to if the weather is dreadful - especially if you haven't quite got your clothing resolved!

Peter
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    I think you will need to buy a bike with a compact chainset 50/34T and a wide range cassette 11-32T, 12-30T.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I wouldn't advise paying for a bike fit at this stage. A good LBS (local bike shop) should be able to ensure you get a bike that is a suitable size for you.

If you are just trying to get fit, you don't need to spend a lot on a road bike, bibshorts, clipless pedals and everything else straight away. You could start with a decent hybrid bike with a good range of gears and some basic clothing and take it from there. If you start to really enjoy cycling and get fitter, you will no doubt get the cycling bug and probably soon want a better bike and all the gear and accessories that go with it.

I have road bikes but I still enjoy riding my Specialized Sirrus hybrid.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Find your local club and ask around.
    Where are you?
  • Also drop into go outdoors stores, Swansea or Cardiff perhaps, as they've started selling bikes that are not bad. For 299£ their own brand calibre rivellin was a best buy under £300 on road.cc website I saw. 6061 alloy frame and carbon forks seem ok to me on a budget. Decathlon is nowhere near you, although online I'd rather see in-store.

Budget is everything, £650got me a PlanetX bike that wasn't half bad. Less than that and you're likely to get hybrids but road going hybrids can be a decent starter bike. Boardman is a good starting point if your budget is enough but I think others have given good options if you have less you want to spend. BTW if you buy something that is very heavy and best described as a bicycle shaped object you'll not enjoy your riding. If the bike is not enjoyable to ride you're unlikely to persist for long. It's a compromise. I've been riding continuously, well on and off, throughout my 40 odd years so I knew when I got my first decent road bike at 18 I would enjoy it. Then my next bike purchases more recently was in the knowledge I'd make use of them. So ib spent a bit more.