New Ultegra chainset, new chain required?

drpau
drpau Posts: 8
edited January 2016 in Road general
Hi Ive just installed a new chainset, an Ultegra 6800 compact. My question is should I also change out the chain? I replaced the chain in June when I switched to 12-30 cassette from 12-28 ( I was doing C2C which included Hardknott, Rhynose, Buttertubs so wanted another couple of teeth).With the thought being to reduce wear on cassette with the older chain (mainly info gleaned from forums for this recommendation). Does the same principle apply to the chainset? Should I be buying a new chain to minimise wear on the crank? Thanks for your help! Paul.

Comments

• Personally, I wouldn't bother provided the chain is in reasonable nick.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Personally, I wouldn't bother provided the chain is in reasonable nick.

I agree. Get a chain checker if in doubt (always worth having one of these), unless you have done >1200 miles on the chain in which case I would change just to make the cassette last a bit longer.

What chainset were you riding before? A standard?
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    You can judge wear on chainrings fairly easily, try pulling the chain off the teeth or compare the profile of new and old side by side.

If they are pointed or have gone shark fin like then the old chain will have worn pretty quickly to fit them.
  • drpau
    Thanks for the replies. The original chainset was a Shimano Tiagra (again a 50/34). If I look at the old chainset they are quite sharkfin vs the new ultegra which are quite squared off (but im unsure if that was just part of the Tiagra design?). Ive just been running since October (fair weather cyclist haha) but Ill use Strava to see how many miles Ive done since changing the chain. Dont want to knacker it for the sake of a few quid but equally I dont want to bin it if its still good and isnt going to do any damage!
  • drpau
    ~950 miles since the chain was replaced...
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    ~950 miles since the chain was replaced...
    I was in the same position about a year ago when I put on a new chainset. To be on the safe side I replaced the chain. If you don't it will probably niggle you thinking that you may be wearing out your expensive new chainset,
  • Keep the chain and use it at a later date once you've got about 1500 miles on the new one?
  • drpau
    Good thinking! Thats a move that would put my mind at ease and then im not 'wasting' a chain, then I can just rotate the two. Ive no chain measuring tool but I measured the chain off the bike and 15 links hadnt really deviated from the 38.1cm on Sheldon Browns site. Think you are right though its probably one that would niggle away at me!

If you would have asked me 1.5 years ago if I would be spending so much on bike bits and being so anal about chains I would have spat my coffee out. I remember a couple of years a go a mate of mine telling me a story about how one of his pedals failing and coming off and he said to himself " there goes 50 quid" I thought he was nuts to pay £100 for a set of pedals. Seems like Im heading in a similar direction!
  • redvision
    To be honest i wouldn't bother keeping the chain. Just swap it.
    If its done approximately 1000miles then it is probably only a bit short of needing changing anyway.

I know this opens a can of worms, you will get people saying they have done a million miles on a chain and it has caused no wear on the cassette etc :roll: , but the fact is it is better to change the chain before it gets to 75% wear in order to save the cassette. This way you will get 3-4 chains to a cassette.

Oh, and buy a chain checker, only a couple of quid on ebay and well worth it.
  • To be honest i wouldn't bother keeping the chain. Just swap it.
    If its done approximately 1000miles then it is probably only a bit short of needing changing anyway.

I know this opens a can of worms, you will get people saying they have done a million miles on a chain and it has caused no wear on the cassette etc :roll: , but the fact is it is better to change the chain before it gets to 75% wear in order to save the cassette. This way you will get 3-4 chains to a cassette.

Think you mean 0.75% wear :wink:
  • redvision
    To be honest i wouldn't bother keeping the chain. Just swap it.

Think you mean 0.75% wear :wink:

Indeed :)