Out of the saddle cycling

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited January 2016 in Road beginners
I've never really 'stood up' whilst pedalling so I don't know how to approach riding out of the saddle. What benefits would I get and how and when would you cycle out of the saddle?

Comments

• bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    As I don't race the only time I get out of the saddle is going up a really steep hill. Sometimes it is necessary to stand on the pedals to keep the momentum going (usually if I've got the wrong gears for the terrain. i.e. 12-25 instead of the 13-32). Sprinting is the other obvious time for getting out the saddle. Standing brings other muscles more into play so if the legs are getting a bit tired it can be useful to help get going again. Also quite useful for getting feeling back into your arse after it has gone a bit numb from hours in the saddle.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • Standing on the pedals can be very effective (in particular) for short climbs, as long as you do it right. Gear up - if you use a gear you can manage in the saddle, you'll waste energy - and don't try to do it at high cadence like Lance did, for the same reason.
  • For long hill climbs i always stay seated but for a short hill i like to get out of the saddle as it really get the heart pumping.
    Also usually saves dropping the gears
  • rumbataz
    On my regular route I have a very long climb of approximately half a mile - it's the toughest part of my route. I'm off for a ride shortly so I'll try it out, but I'm not sure of how to do it!
  • fatdaz
    fatdaz Posts: 348
    Like Simon says just gear up. The most efficient way to cycle is seated with a high cadence so the only reason to stand is if something isn't working for you or if you want to change something. Maybe you'll want to add a bit of speed by upping the gears and standing or maybe you need to ease a bit of pressure on specific muscles.
  • rumbataz
    Maybe it'll be easier to do on my road bike? I struggled to cycle out of the saddle on the hybrid earlier today. Being on a busy main road with crazy drivers wasn't helping my confidence but that one particular road on my route has a very long climb so I wanted to try it.

I think if I can work different sets of muscles and particularly my core, it's something that I want to do regularly as I'm using cycling mainly as a fitness activity.
  • bbrap
    Maybe it'll be easier to do on my road bike? I struggled to cycle out of the saddle on the hybrid earlier today.

When you say you struggled, How exactly? Difficulty keeping in a straight line, turning the pedals, legs burning, or just feeling a bit odd?

I see you tried on a hybrid, can I assume that has straight handlebars? Because that will feel a bit weird.
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    When I pedal out of the saddle it tends to be more painful on my knees at my age, so I tend not to do it often. However I don't really see the need to do it as I prefer staying seated when climbing.
  • rumbataz
    Felt weird - straight handlebars on the hybrid so I guess it's not the ideal bike to try it on. I was also a bit worried about snapping the chain!
  • When I pedal out of the saddle it tends to be more painful on my knees at my age, so I tend not to do it often. However I don't really see the need to do it as I prefer staying seated when climbing.

Same with me. I tried standing to relieve my legs and found it worse.

Then someone told me I was too bent over. Now I concentrate of pushing my hips forward when I stand. It makes your upper body more vertical and changes the point of effort in your legs.

Works for me.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Felt weird - straight handlebars on the hybrid so I guess it's not the ideal bike to try it on. I was also a bit worried about snapping the chain!

Fit some bar ends to your flat bars, then your hands will be in a position more akin to riding on the hoods on your road bike.
  • bbrap

Don't think you need to worry about snapping the chain just because you are on your feet. The extra power you develop standing (if you are able to develop any more power) is unlikely to break a chain which is in good condition. If you have a manky rust ridden old chain there may be a chance of it coming apart, but as said earlier you are likely to be going uphill and hence at a relatively slow speed, the worst that is likely to befall you is the ability to sing like a soprano for a few days.
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Felt weird - straight handlebars on the hybrid so I guess it's not the ideal bike to try it on.

I don't think the bars will make any difference. I've been riding out of the saddle for 40 years (and only got a road bike 3.5 years ago)
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Oh its definitely easier on a road bike on the hoods or on a MTB bike on the bar ends.

You need to rock the bike slightly from side to side and its a bit trickier if your hands are flat on the tops as it were. On the hoods its childs play.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,500
    I stand up quite a lot, for various reasons.
    One reason is that it uses different muscles, so for example if you're on a climb you can get a short reprieve for the muscles that are hurting. As others have said, switch to a higher gear if standing and you may not need to actually push down, just switch your weight from one pedal to the other. From a cadence point of view, perhaps imagine you're climbing stairs and so adjust your cadence accordingly.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I live halfway up a hill that most cyclists generally ride up while seated. Occasionally just for the challenge I'll try to do the whole thing in a harder gear but out of the saddle. It certainly seems to work a whole load of different muscles. My arms are usually the first thing to give out!

Doesn't feel odd to me, but I did start cycling in the early 70s when the gearing was less generous, so the options for hill climbing were to stand on the pedals or get off and push :D