Castelli Alpha or Sportful Fiandre norain

Comments

• Just received my Alpha Jacket. Quality OK, doesn't seem like a garment that will last 5 years if used regularly though.

The fit is designed around anorexic individuals... I normally wear an M, I bought an L for this, which is the right size but it still makes me look like a big sausage, despite me being probably only a stone away from a PRO rider... the Assos 851 was more flattering

I hope it's warm as I was quite cold on the bike today!
    left the forum March 2023
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Let us know. I find it incredibly warm.
  • Let us know. I find it incredibly warm.

New jackets are warm, when they wear they lose material and they stretch, hence my 851 is nowhere near as warm as it was when new
  • robbo2011
    Let us know. I find it incredibly warm.

New jackets are warm, when they wear they lose material and they stretch, hence my 851 is nowhere near as warm as it was when new

I meant the Alpha Jacket. I'm sure you'll find it warm.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Just received my Alpha Jacket. Quality OK, doesn't seem like a garment that will last 5 years if used regularly though.

The fit is designed around anorexic individuals... I normally wear an M, I bought an L for this, which is the right size but it still makes me look like a big sausage, despite me being probably only a stone away from a PRO rider... the Assos 851 was more flattering

I hope it's warm as I was quite cold on the bike today!

i'll bet you a £ the rear pockets will tear at the corners after you're first few rides, assuming you keep stuff in your pockets that is.

not sure what the temps are like where you are today but i'd be cold in mine here in Windshire, Rapha hardshell, wool long sleeve base layer and a fleece gilet yesterday was just about okay for the morning, minus the gilet on the way home at 3c i'd have turned to ice in just the Alpha + baselayer.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • robbo2011
    edited January 2016
    Wow, maybe I have some kind of nuclear heat generator hidden inside my body as i find the Alpha Jacket incredibly warm even at freezing temperatures with just a long sleeve base layer. I start to overheat after just a few minutes of moderate paced riding. it is almost too warm for me.

And as for wind resistance, it keeps me warm during 5 km descents at 60kph+, plunging into valleys where the air temps are still around freezing. The ones where the wind chill makes your face muscles stop working. I can't see how anyone could be cold in it, to be honest. Maybe base layer selection has something to do with it.
  • I feel like, as I get older, I am less warm than I once was. But, as I've said this week, I've been in the Mossa at 5 degrees. Wear the Alpha jersey comfortably at that range as well.

Last year -2 in a hailstorm with the Alpha jacket. Nothing got through. Can't imagine ever being cold in it. I do agree with Ugo's big sausage though. I think the lack of contrasting trim does accentuate even the smallest non pro curve. The women's looks arguably a bit better in this regard as the black section appears to occupy a large area
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • the_rover
    the_rover Posts: 402
    I bought an alpha jacket last week and used it today for the first time. It's feels slightly smaller than the alpha jersey I've got, both are in large.
    The temps today never got above 5 degrees and I know the temps drop slightly on the route I took as it goes up into the hills.
    I wore it with a long sleeve under armour summer base layer and went at a fairly slow pace as my legs were a bit sore from running a 10k yesterday. :mrgreen:

Only did 2 hrs but the jacket was perfect and I'm glad I bought it. I reckon along with the alpha jersey, my DHB aeron soft shell and this jacket I've got winter covered* especially with my endura baa baa and craft extreme base layers.

* that's until bender posts another too good to miss deal which is how I ended up buying this jacket!
  • robbo2011
    I do agree with Ugo's big sausage though.

I didn't realise you and Ugo were such good friends :wink:
  • I did 50 miles on new years day and the first hour was at minus 1. I had a dhb merino base layer, an alpha jacket, a pair of castelli thermal bibs out of the flouro attack range and a snood. I could feel the cold on my bum cheeks for the first 20 min, but I was soon pulling at the snood to vent out the heat.
  • Definitively warm. I'd say above 6 degrees best to keep the windproof flap open. I was lucky enough to get caught in a 15 minutes shower. Waterproof in that timescale and still warm afterwards. Not sure how long it will be waterproof for. It seems that kind of fabric that is great when new, but after 5 washings it loses its proofness. That said, I suppose one can reproof it with some sort of spray if needs be

Rear pockets a bit hard to get to while riding and not especially roomy. Tiny front pocket useful for keys, credit card etc...

Not sure why I have a "rosso corsa" (race red) written on the neck of a stone blue jacket, but fair enough
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Castelli seem to ignore the translation of Rosso Corsa - apparently its to denote garments with innovative technology... http://www.castellicafe.co.uk/castelli-rosso-corsa
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Well that's a confusing contradiction, i wore my alpha with the same baabaa wool long sleeved base tonight in 0c with a brutal headwind and i stayed warm all the way home.

Go figure !?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • apreading
    At 1C for my 12 mile commute home tonight, I felt it was finally time to put the arm warmers on with my SS Gabba. Was just perfect temp, kept the wind out. This was with the same (really) thin merino SS base layer (120gsm thin - almost see through!). Have worn this for every ride since beginning of December when we went into single digits and its been great. Still yet to get around to putting my Alpha Jersey on for a ride - not sure if it will be warmer or colder than the Gabba? Might have to break out the LS Gabba if it gets much colder though, or even the Mortirolo that I save for the VERY coldest days...
  • robbo2011
    Why not try the Alpha today? It will be warmer than the Gabba.

You seem to have a lot of overlap there as all three of your long sleeve Castelli pieces are specified at around 8-15 deg or so by Castelli and there is no real cold weather jacket in the mix.

Looking at the design of the Mortirolo (windproof front and roubaix type rear), it is more or less the same as the Alpha jersey so I would be surprised if it is any warmer. In fact the Alpha Jersey has four dots out of 5 for insulation on the Castelli website whereas the Mortirolo has 3 out of 5.
  • the_rover
    the_rover Posts: 402
    The mortirolo is a lot warmer than the jersey, I'd happily wear mine today ( if it wasn't for sale ) whereas for me the jersey is for 5/6 degrees and above. I'll be wearing the alpha jacket though today for the commute as I'll be cold when I set off home at midnightish.
  • Hovering around freezing temperature this morning... long sleeve merino and Alpha jacket... perfect combination, wasn't sweating, wasn't cold.

However, the star was my front Marathon winter tyre... solid on the icy patches... :mrgreen:
  • apreading
    Yeah, finally this morning it reached the point where the SS Gabba might have been too cold for me. Stood looking at an LS Gabba, Mortirolo and Alpha Jersey this morning...

The Mortirolo is definately the warmest - no doubt about that and I would only ever consider it once we get to hovering around or below freezing, at which point it can go well sub-zero with the right base layer.

The Alpha Jersey just seems so much lighter and thinner than the others - I couldnt believe it would be warm enough this morning - to me.

My assessment, for me and admittedly not having worn the Alpha Jersey outside yet, it truly seems like the range of 9 to 15C might be right, whereas the Gabba's range to be is 1 to 9C and the Mortirolo is -5 to 1C.

Picked the Mortirolo in the end this morning and was feeling a bit too hot in places, not quite unpleasantly so but enough to make me quite sure that I would not want to wear in in 9C...!

Thats why I bought the Alpha jersey - because above single figures the Gabba and Mortirolo are just way too unpleasantly hot for me. I also bought a Sportful Fiandre Light Norain top for the warmer weathers too - I am quite sure that will overlap with the others on the charts too, but the charts are wrong in my opinion (for me anyway).
  • See, I've worn the Alpha down to zero (starting off) and up to 15. Since our winters appear to have changed and we get little in the way of months of cold I didn't really see a need to keep the Alpha jacket. So I got the Aeron at £60 to fill in those gaps. Honest now, the Alpha is just so very versatile.
  • apreading
    Actually, looking on Wiggle they rate the Gabba SS as 10-18C and the Mortirolo as 6-15C, with the Alpha Jersey as 8-15. For the Gabba and Mortirolo, if you take 10 degrees off the ranges then that is about right for me. Looking at and feeling the Alpha Jersey the 8-15 seems about right but would be well worth me testing at lower temps based on what you say Bender - although I wimped out this morning because there wasnt room in my pack to take any backup contingency, so I went with what I knew. Will deffo give it a try soon though!
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    How is the arm length on the alpha? I have quite long arms and remember trying the sportful no rain jacket last year and found the arms too short. I'm guessing they are similar sizing being the sameish company?

edit: sorry, I've just seen this answered in the other alpha thread.
  • robbo2011
    The Alpha Jersey just seems so much lighter and thinner than the others - I couldnt believe it would be warm enough this morning - to me.

My assessment, for me and admittedly not having worn the Alpha Jersey outside yet, it truly seems like the range of 9 to 15C might be right, whereas the Gabba's range to be is 1 to 9C and the Mortirolo is -5 to 1C.

Just try it on a cold day with a LS baselayer. It will make you question why you have so many pieces of kit.
  • apreading
    Just try it on a cold day with a LS baselayer. It will make you question why you have so many pieces of kit.

Hopefully will be doing just that this weekend!
  • apreading
    Mortirolo was too hot this evening...
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    I'd second that the Mortirolo is a jacket for which is reserved for wearing on the coldest days. Even then, I only wear it with a reletively thin long sleeve base layer. It's a very warm garment.
  • apreading
    Finally got around to wearing the Alpha Jersey this morning - I was a bit cold though, I have to say. Definately not as warm as I would have been in even the Short Sleeve Gabba. I wasnt really cold but slightly colder than just 'cool', although still bearable.

The Windstopper did what it says on the tin - stopped the wind. But the wind did make the outside surface of the material cold and because the material is thinner than on the Gabba, I could feel the cold against my skin. On the thicker material of the Gabba, my heat would warm the inner surface and the material would insulate the two surfaces from each other. On the Alpha Jersey, the material is too thin to do that.

I should say that this was with (as usual of late) my thinnest possible short sleeve merino base layer. With a thicker base layer, I am sure the Alpha Jersey would be fine as my skin would be insulated from the outer material - I will ride home tonight with my trusty Helly Hansen Warm LS base layer and I am sure will be happier.

It is clear to me now though that the Alpha Jersey is NOT as warm as the Gabba.

Right now my LS Gabba and Mortirolo are better choices for the colder days, although I could make the Alpha work with sufficient base layers.

This is actually good news though, because hopefully it means the Alpha Jersey will be cooler in Spring and Autumn, when the Gabba is too hot for me. That is why I bought it anyway.

Fit was excellent though - REALLY comfortable - as others say, it is designed to feel good on the bike rather than in the fitting room.
  • richiegwy
    richiegwy Posts: 171
    Well I got my alpha jacket yesterday in drive blue. I must say I love the colour and am impressed by the jacket. It feels like it's going to be very warm alright!
    The fit is very good and doesn't leave a lot of room for layers underneath but I don't think I'll need them. Looking forward to getting out there and trying it.
  • robbo2011
    Finally got around to wearing the Alpha Jersey this morning - I was a bit cold though, I have to say. definitely not as warm as I would have been in even the Short Sleeve Gabba. I wasnt really cold but slightly colder than just 'cool', although still bearable.

The Windstopper did what it says on the tin - stopped the wind. But the wind did make the outside surface of the material cold and because the material is thinner than on the Gabba, I could feel the cold against my skin. On the thicker material of the Gabba, my heat would warm the inner surface and the material would insulate the two surfaces from each other. On the Alpha Jersey, the material is too thin to do that.

I should say that this was with (as usual of late) my thinnest possible short sleeve merino base layer. With a thicker base layer, I am sure the Alpha Jersey would be fine as my skin would be insulated from the outer material - I will ride home tonight with my trusty Helly Hansen Warm LS base layer and I am sure will be happier.

Right now my LS Gabba and Mortirolo are better choices for the colder days, although I could make the Alpha work with sufficient base layers.

This is actually good news though, because hopefully it means the Alpha Jersey will be cooler in Spring and Autumn, when the Gabba is too hot for me. That is why I bought it anyway.

Fit was excellent though - REALLY comfortable - as others say, it is designed to feel good on the bike rather than in the fitting room.

What you have described is what makes it so versatile. If you wear it with a short sleeved summer base layer it can be worn in spring like temperatures without overheating, but vary the base layer and wear a full on winter base layer and you (well, I) can ride for hours at 0-2 degC temperatures in good comfort without excessive sweating. This is why we like it and why we don't feel the need to buy so many pieces of kit (although we all do anyway )
  • Finally got around to wearing the Alpha Jersey this morning - I was a bit cold though, I have to say. definitely not as warm as I would have been in even the Short Sleeve Gabba. I wasnt really cold but slightly colder than just 'cool', although still bearable.

What you have described is what makes it so versatile. If you wear it with a short sleeved summer base layer it can be worn in spring like temperatures without overheating, but vary the base layer and wear a full on winter base layer and you (well, I) can ride for hours at 0-2 degC temperatures in good comfort without excessive sweating. This is why we like it and why we don't feel the need to buy so many pieces of kit (although we all do anyway )

Absolutely! I use mine into the summer and well into the winter. Honest to God I have loads of overlapping kit but it's great to be able to choose for specific conditions. I test drove the Mossa.2 today. I only intended it to be cold test. Then it got all bloody driving rain, 40 mph and really bloody dark. More on that soon.......
  • apreading
    Rode home with a thicker and Long Sleeve Helly Hansen 1/2 zip freeze base layer tonight and was absolutely perfect. So it can have a place right now, with thicker base layers than the Gabba needs, but when it gets colder the LS Gabba will go to lower temps, most definately.

However, the reason I bought the Alpha Jersey was because there are only about four weeks a year cold enough for the Gabba but not too cold for it. The rest of the time I sweat like crazy in it. I am pretty sure the Alpha will nicely fill part of the gap, which this year was served by the same LS Helly base layer and a Fawesome on top - a great combo but not as water resistant as the Alpha should be.

I am pretty sure the Alpha will fit its intended purpose very well for me.

If I didnt already have a Gabba then I think with the Alpha Jersey and Mortirolo and careful layering, I could get by without the Gabba, but I have a Short Sleeve and Transformer Gabba already, which are probably the better tool for the job right now and for the next month apart from when it gets too cold and the Mortirolo comes out.