Nukeproof Mega TR 275 - Black or Raw

HardrockRob
HardrockRob Posts: 230
edited March 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys. Need some input from any Mega owners. Going to pull the trigger on a Mega TR frame in the CRC sales to transfer the parts from my Canyon Spectral 6.0 that I've had for almost a couple of years. Feels just a smidge on small side. Can live with it but the deal on the Nukeproof frames are pretty good and a reasonable way (if I can the sell my Canyon frame) of getting a new bike.

Anyone got any experience with the Black or Raw finishes? Presumably raw is better at hiding scratches etc and the black is likely to look a bit shabby quite quickly. Had a black bike previously and swore not again but looks pretty good! Anyone know how hardy the black paint is?

Cheers all!!
2015 Nukeproof Mega TR 275 in raw

Comments

• Worth checking if invisiframe do a kit for it, and if so, get the frame colour you most like.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I had a black one and the paint quality was rubbish. It's very thin, not very durable and chips very easily.
    I wouldn't have thought other colours would be any better.
    Dreadful rear shock, but upgrade it with the Debonair air can and the bike is a great ride.
    The standard shock is extremely harsh.
  • I had a black one and the paint quality was rubbish. It's very thin, not very durable and chips very easily.
    I wouldn't have thought other colours would be any better.
    Dreadful rear shock, but upgrade it with the Debonair air can and the bike is a great ride.
    The standard shock is extremely harsh.

Cheers fella. That's swung it towards the raw alu.

The frame is the pro frame so has the Monarch RT3 with Debonair. Has to be better than the Fox shock on my Canyon. So presumably best one to go for. At £599 for the frame figured can't really go wrong and measurements of large seem to be exactly where I want them - midway between the sizing of my Spectral (slightly to small) and my old Stumpy FSR (slightly to big). Will use the Spectral equipment including the Stealth Reverb (which I think is compatible) until that wears out amd i can get a better fork. Hopefully should be enough to be a pretty nice bike
  • I've got the 2014 NP Mega AM and the paint is holding up quite well. A few chips and scratches but would be the same on most frames. They are Reverb Stealth compatible :wink:

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    My mega tr 2014 paint is holding up just fine too! The rear shock on mine isnt the best but I certainly love the bike overall.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • My mega tr 2014 paint is holding up just fine too! The rear shock on mine isnt the best but I certainly love the bike overall.

Good to hear. Went for the raw in the end, on the basis that I have had a black bike already. Think the raw looks quite good although hoping that once it is built up it doesn't just look unfinished, if you know what I mean.

Frame on its way with some other bits and hopefully get it built up in time for next weekend.
  • kirby700
    You'll need some cable brake hose mounts too if you havent got them already. Just looked at crc website pictures and they don't look like there supplied.
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • rockmonkeysc
    You'll need some cable brake hose mounts too if you havent got them already. Just looked at crc website pictures and they don't look like there supplied.

They will be in the box. The screws are made of cheese though. I replaced mine with stainless screws.
  • kirby700
    Very mouldy soft cheese!
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • You'll need some cable brake hose mounts too if you havent got them already. Just looked at crc website pictures and they don't look like there supplied.

They will be in the box. The screws are made of cheese though. I replaced mine with stainless screws.

Cheers fella. Handy tip that.
  • @RockmonkeySC (or anyone else that has built up one of these frames), I am going to run a 2x10 set up (to start with until fitness levels back to a 1x10 as a possibility ). I know I will need to get a direct mount front mech (looking at the xt mech). Will I need any sort of adapter for the frame as seen reference to a 2013 one on CRC, or will the direct mount mech bolt straight to the frame (as name suggests!)?
  • rockmonkeysc
    Mine came with the front mech mount already fitted.
  • kirby700
    Go straight for the 1x10. Save the nessibg about. The mega pros we're 1x10 with a 36 front ring.
    Mine was 36 and 24 and just gone for 1x10 with a 32tooth front ring.

Why not go straight to a 30 or 32 tooth front ring if your fitness is not quite there.

I love mine. No messing about no dropped chain....yet. wish I done it ages ago!
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • Myster101
    Myster101 Posts: 856
    Go straight for the 1x10. Save the nessibg about. The mega pros we're 1x10 with a 36 front ring.
    Mine was 36 and 24 and just gone for 1x10 with a 32tooth front ring.

Why not go straight to a 30 or 32 tooth front ring if your fitness is not quite there.

I love mine. No messing about no dropped chain....yet. wish I done it ages ago!

This. My Mega AM came with 2x10 and I swapped out to 1x10 with a 30t up front (live in the Lake District so lots of hills, that's my excuse anyway). Don't bother with the 2x10 as you'll just change it.

Scott Genius MC 30 RIP
    Nukeproof Mega AM 275 Comp
    Cube LTD Rigid Commuter
    Ribble 7005 Sportive
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    if you get a 42t range expander out back, then you lose almost no low gears than if you had a granny ring up front, so you may as well go 1x and save yourself the money you'd spend switching over
  • Cheers for the recommendations. Looking into this now.

First frame arrived. Looks the dogs in raw but unfortunately (or fortunately) the lack of paint work meant I found a crack in the aluminium piece connecting the rear shock to the top tube :shock:

Spoke to CRC and showed pictures (their tech guy took one look at picture and said replace it) so they are collecting tomorrow and replacement will be on its way. Bit of a pain to say the least especially when you are looking forward to a build and that first ride. That said would be even more of a pain if the weld fractured...
  • NanoTró
    NanoTró Posts: 3
    Cheers for the recommendations. Looking into this now.

First frame arrived. Looks the dogs in raw but unfortunately (or fortunately) the lack of paint work meant I found a crack in the aluminium piece connecting the rear shock to the top tube :shock:

Spoke to CRC and showed pictures (their tech guy took one look at picture and said replace it) so they are collecting tomorrow and replacement will be on its way. Bit of a pain to say the least especially when you are looking forward to a build and that first ride. That said would be even more of a pain if the weld fractured...

That's sounds very strange. A crack in the aluminium linkage? Can you post pics? :roll:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I don't read it as linkage but the aluminium frame mounting for the frame end of the shock.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • NanoTró
    NanoTró Posts: 3
    The Rookie wrote:
    I don't read it as linkage but the aluminium frame mounting for the frame end of the shock.

OK, understand. Anyway, it's so strange to find a crack in a new frame...
  • HardrockRob
    HardrockRob Posts: 230
    Wow. This popped back up. Whether it was a crack or a defect in the aluminium wasnt going to take the chance. Think I might still have the pic somewhere and will see if I can post it later. It was all sorted without fuss though and absolutely loving the bike.
  • hanhamreds
    hanhamreds Posts: 100
    I have a Mega AM Comp 2015 - no issues with the paint on mine.
  • Hey there pal,

I got rid of mine last year, wasn't by choice had to due to not having enough room for it..

I had the raw, and it's was a pleasure to look after, cleaned really easy and didn't show the scraches up, but had a mate that worked in a steel workshop and he said it would be easy to buff anything out.. And it really stood out amongst the other bikes! I always used seal and shine by Muc-Off and it used to look new after every ride, in fact when I sold it the guy that purchased it said it looked brand new! I owned it for 3 years... I really miss the bike TBH and if I was to ever own one again I would have ditched the rockshoks fm for fox any day..

I don't think your be disappointed..