Wheelsmith front hub bearing removal

munzy
munzy Posts: 111
edited December 2015 in Workshop
The maintenance section on the Wheelsmith website has not come back up yet and I'm planning on replacing the bearings in my front hub.

I can get one endcap off (inserting 5mm allen keys into both endcaps) but then I can't see how to get the other endcap off so that I can knock out the bearings.

How do I get to the bearings?

23425993583_61bce111a5.jpg

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Is the inside of the exposed axle milled for an allen key? Usually you would now insert a larger allen key (prob. 10mm) into the axle, so that you can remove the other endcap. If the axle doesn't protrude from the bearing, you'll probably find you need a solid rod that inserts into the axle and keys against a lip - probably 7mm in diameter; you then use a mallet on this rod to knock out the bearing in one direction, then rinse and repeat from the other side. You can pick up suitable aluminium rod stock on eBay for pennies.
  • In the absence of an allen slot, most likely what you have is a simple threaded cylinder of aluminium that connects the two caps. It can be displaced sideways and knocked off with some kind of driver, possibly made of soft material, like plastic or wood... the other cap will pop off with the cylinder
    left the forum March 2023
  • munzy
    munzy Posts: 111
    Thanks guys, found that there is a 6mm Allen slot half way through the axle, so both caps off nice and easy now :)

Struggling to get the hearings drifted out though - I can move the internal axle to the side so that I can get to the smaller inner race of the bearing, but because the axle internal diameter is so small I can't get my drift pin onto it from the opposite site to knock the bearing out.

Any suggestions please?
  • Thanks guys, found that there is a 6mm Allen slot half way through the axle, so both caps off nice and easy now :)

Struggling to get the hearings drifted out though - I can move the internal axle to the side so that I can get to the smaller inner race of the bearing, but because the axle internal diameter is so small I can't get my drift pin onto it from the opposite site to knock the bearing out.

Any suggestions please?

Given that you have an allen key slot, you can use a 6 mm allen key and mallet on that one to push the bearing out... it's really very simple
    left the forum March 2023