Mavic Crossroc

Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper Posts: 420
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
I'm picking my new bike up tomorrow Giant Anthem 2
I was thinking of changing the wheels straight away for a pair of Mavic Crossrocs as the price was right.
Are these wheels any good has anyone got any experience with them? or should i just leave the originals on.
I'll mainly be riding Afan and Glyncorwg and also local natural trails.

Comments

• Ive had a 29er set now for 3 months, still dead straight and true. Bearings are really nice and tight on them too. My LBS swear by Mavic wheels.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The original wheels are perfectly good. I would stick with them.
    I would avoid Mavic wheels. They seem to break spokes regularly and replacements are difficult to get and expensive.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A lot of Mavic parts are specific making getting parts slower (when you need them in a hurry) and costlier than with many other wheels.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I've got Mavic Crossride on my hardtail. They are much better than what it came with which were utter crap.

I don't know what comes on the bike in question, but my experience so far with my Mavics is very good.
  • Not knowing what comes as standard, its quite hard to say. When I rebuilt my Crosslines earlier in the year it took me long enough to find replacement spokes, then a further 6 weeks to have them shipped from Germany. Somehow... Bearings are on the way out, dreading trying to find replacements.
    However, Crosslines were only built in 2009 and 2012. Not sure how common Crossrocs are, so you might suffer the same thing.
    I personally like Mavic wheels, but they do have their foibles.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • These are the wheels that come standard on it the bike.

Rims Giant P-XC 27.5
    Hubs Giant P-XC [F] 15mm [R] 135mm QR
    Spokes Sapim
    Tyres Schwalbe Racing Ralph, 27.5x2.25" Performance Folding

Apart from the Mavics could anyone recommend anything else? i have a limit of £300
  • The Rookie
    They will be parts from a major manufacturer, it's just finding out which one!

Good measure is to weigh them!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Hubs are Formula but with cartridge bearings, decent quality ones surprisingly. Rims are made by DT Swiss.
  • I couldnt get on with the lite skin racing ralph on my Anthem SX. Far too much give / roll in the sidewalls for me. The wheels are not bad at all. Maybe not the lightest but they are stiff and very smooth rolling. Personally I would suggest some stronger walled tyres from the off, go tubeless and keep the stock wheels.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I would avoid Mavic wheels. They seem to break spokes regularly and replacements are difficult to get and expensive.

no issue with my mavic wheels that I've had in the past nor have I heard of anyone breaking spokes regularly. spokes are actually easy to come by but not cheap like you say.
  • rockmonkeysc
    I have seen loads of broken spokes on Mavic wheels. In our group in France this summer four people had Mavic wheels and all broke at least one spoke, one lad broke three just in his rear Crossmax. All the wheels were different and all the spokes were different lengths. We ended up bodging one with a cable tie. Very few shops keem mavic spokes in stock but most have j bend spokes.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I have seen loads of broken spokes on Mavic wheels. In our group in France this summer four people had Mavic wheels and all broke at least one spoke, one lad broke three just in his rear Crossmax. All the wheels were different and all the spokes were different lengths. We ended up bodging one with a cable tie. Very few shops keem mavic spokes in stock but most have j bend spokes.

maybe factory mavic wheels are weaker?

my merlin cycles handbuilt mavic en521 wheels with dt swiss spokes have been fine these rims use standard spokes and nipples so should be easy to get replacements, only thing thats failed in 2 year of use is the hub xt changed to pro 2 evo.

my en821 wheels on the other hand use some type of screw in spoke nipples which i hope arent difficult to find, reminded me to get some parts for spares box.
  • rockmonkeysc
    It's the Mavic complete wheels, not just wheels with Mavic rims.
  • The Rookie
    That's not a Mavic wheel is it, it's a Mavic rim, we are talking Mavic wheels from the Mavic factory with Mavic hubs and Mavic spokes to go with the Mavic rim.....