Winter cycling boots

durhamwasp
durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi,

Anyone point me in the direction of some decent winter cycling boots? Something that will keep the feet warm and dry.

I realise its the wrong time of the year to look for bargains for winter boots, but was looking at a budget of £70 ish.

Anyone have any experience of these? Not gortex I see, so wondering if its really worth buying them.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XLC-CB-M07-Winter-Mountain-Bike-Cycling-Shoes-Shimano-SPD-Compatible/311438486584?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107092241%26meid%3D26d78a46af7a479ca110802d03b34034%26pid%3D100034%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D121848767276
http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....

Comments

• nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    If you ride regularly in the cold and wet then some dedicated winter boots are great. Last year I would have to leave my shoes in front of the tumble dryer to dry out, this year that isn't a problem. My feet never get cold now either.

But it will be tough to find a pair in your budget. Realistically you want goretex or a decent tech fabric. Northwave, Sidi and Mavic would be where I would (and did) spend my money, but you'll have to budget £100+ depending on what offers you can find. Otherwise, you may as well invest in some decent overshoes.

If it helps, I'd definitely recommend Mavic Ksyrium Thermo Pro Boots.
  • I bought a proper pair of winter riding boots last year, Northwave Farenheit GTX. They were a revelation, made my winter riding so much more enjoyable. You can pick up a pair for just over a £100, I would say a very worthwhile investment.
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    I have the same as Mike, and have been using them for the last three years, they make winter riding much more pleasant. Chainreaction have them on offer, and if you're a member of BC you'll get them for not much over £100...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/northwave-celsius-arctic-2-gtx-winter-mtb-boots/rp-prod139399?utm_source=SilverpopMailing&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ENG_29_12_15_turbo_trainers_(1)
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Thanks for the replys!
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Just be aware the Northwave boots are not waterproof. They'll certainly keep you warm on a cold day but water will get through the fabric and run down into the tops.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have a pair of Northwave GTX boots which were close to £200 when I got them last year (around £125 on Wiggle now!). For me, they were nowhere near as comfortable as a pair of shoes and the soles not as rigid. My strong preference for winter riding is a pair of woolie boolie socks, normal road shoes, and a pair of decent neoprene over shoes. I found the rapha ones okay but recently got heavier duty GripGrab - not as good looking as rapha but considerably warmer and less than £40 if memory serves. £50 should get you a couple pairs of woolie boolies and a pair of GripGrabs. The Northwaves look good gathering dust in the corner.....

Peter
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,464
    I got a pair of specialized winter boots a couple of months ago. They're very very good in cold and wet conditions. I got them after reading user and expert reviews. They're way above your budget though. For £70 I can't see you getting anything worthwhile unless you find some second hand.
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • Sanjay
    Sanjay Posts: 108
    I got the Northwave Fahrenheit GTX from Wiggle for about £110 a few months ago. They are great at keeping your feet warm, and I've been using them with Seal Skin socks for extra insulation when I need it. They are also good at keeping the rain out for about 2 hours. After this they will get wet!

They are definitely better than a normal shoe and overshoe combination for keeping the elements out and feet warm.
  • I've tried winter boots and don't much like them (Shimano RW in my case) - they're too heavy and stiff and, when they inevitably get soaked, they take forever to dry out. As northpole, good socks (long socks are important), shoes and neoprene overshoes (if they're not wet, don't take them off the shoe each time) I find are much much better. And dry out much easier if they get inundated. These have served me down to -11C. BBB make some of the most robust overshoes.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Bought some Northwaves in 2011 and still in service now. The biggest key to keeping the wet out of them is a front mudguard. I like them although they are starting to get a bit tatty so this will probably be their last winter.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    I've tried winter boots and don't much like them (Shimano RW in my case) - they're too heavy and stiff and, when they inevitably get soaked, they take forever to dry out. As northpole, good socks (long socks are important), shoes and neoprene overshoes (if they're not wet, don't take them off the shoe each time) I find are much much better. And dry out much easier if they get inundated. These have served me down to -11C. BBB make some of the most robust overshoes.
    I thought it was just me that raved about BBB overshoes. Had a pair for 4 years or so and still going strong admittedly not in daily use but still fairly regularly. I even use them over trainers on the Brompton

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bbb-heavy-duty-oss-overshoes-bws02b-aw15/rp-prod45049?gs=1&gclid=Cj0KEQiAno60BRDt89rAh7qt-4wBEiQASes2tcHTVC8rSGkVTGP7Mh3rFNRq4OaG-YVcbvKofl_FZ-EaAgIq8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • My Northwave Celsius are now around 10 years old. I know they are that old because I purchased them when at my previous house and have been at my current house for nearly 9 years.

They are SPD instead of road cleat (which is the Fahrenheit model), this is what I prefer for winter road riding. Used them almost exclusively on road hence they have lasted so long.

100% recommended.
  • tomisitt
    tomisitt Posts: 257
    There's a test of them in the new issue of Cycling Active...they don't rate any of them very highly