Big mileage mtb

Stumoses1
Stumoses1 Posts: 3
edited January 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hi

Looking for a new mtb and struggling with ideas as no reviews seem to fit my requirements.

I am looking for a bike that is comfortable for big miles, I have planned this year Robin Hood - St Bees, South Downs Way in a day, Transcambrian Way, a couple of 100k+ Events and other similar rides. I have a 170mm travel ful sus and a 26in hard tail and looking at small travel full sus 29er. Cross country bikes are to harsh over big miles and big travel Enduro bikes are to big/heavy for what I want already own one.

Any ideas or thoughts for 2k.

Thanks

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    I would wait for advice from people who ride that distance often and can advise what to look for any why. I would be looking for an xc full suspension bike but have only ridden that distance once and a hard tail was fine for me at the time.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I have done a few 100km rides. I just use a full suspension trail or xc bike. I have used a Giant Trance, Giant Anthem, Nukeproof Mega TR and Transition Scout. The Anthem was definitely the best.
    I've also done it on a Giant XTC hardtail but that was horrible.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    The guy who done the South Downs Double recently (there and back non stop) was on a carbon 456 with a 100mm fork and a light build. He seemed to get on ok. I guess its weight vs fatigue when considering hardtail or FS.

Trance/Anthem is a good shout, they keep rolling and climb very well.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Santa Cruz Tallboy?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I have a Cotic Solaris a steel 29er hardtail,bought this secondhand as a xc bike,now started riding my local trail centre on it as well,i regularly do 60+ mile xc rides on it,I had forgotten how good steel felt to ride,been quite a bit older i come from the days of rigid steel bikes,which with a few mates we used to ride 80+ miles on a weekend,I no I'm going to get response for this but steel has a really nice supple feel to it,which seems to make it less harsh,i have a carbon road bike and a steel commuter (Charge Plug),when on a rough road the Plug is so much smoother and more forgiving

Don't look past a decent hardtail,for what you describe you want it would probably be the better option
  • Thanks. Was considering full sus as felt it would be more comfortable over longer distances. I have a steel framed Pipedream and love riding it but it is hardtail and 26inch and thought the rolling of the bigger wheels and slight amount of travel would make life more comfortable on my 40 year old bones!

I too come from the era of steel hence my Pipedream, I used to ride my 93 Clockwork for miles. Infact still have it collecting dust!

Cheers
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    My 96 orange c16r is now retired abroad. I went up mountains on it and all over the UK. V brakes, 50mm elastomer forks and narrow bars by today's standards. Before that i had a GT outpost, fully rigid with really poor cantilever brakes which on a steep hill did nothing.

I found 29" wheels on my current xc hardtail take the sting out of the trail and good for eating up miles of xc riding.
  • Having recntly added a 29er Hardtail to my collection I would say it would be the go to options for efficiently covering high mileage regardless of whether you opt for a Hartail or short traval FS.

A Softtail like BMCs TeamElite is a compromise option giving around 15mm of rear travel that sits in between but the cost of these is still a little high. I have a Trek Procaliber that runs a slightly different system in that it takes away the trail buzz away from the rider when seated rather that acting as a true suspension system like the BMC or FS bikes. I really like the option and find trail fatique is greatly reduced. I would have no issue taking on that sort of mileage with the terrain encountered on the South Downs Way on that bike.

For the budget it seems like a short travel FS 29er is your best bang for buck as both the BMX and Trek sit a little higher. A 100mm option would be ideal but you can ride a 120mm as effeciently and this travel range would open up ore options.
    Bird Aeris : Trek Remedy 9.9 29er : Trek Procaliber 9.8 SL
  • Light weight, Full sus I would say...

Protect you're butt as you get older!
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    I'd be tempted to go for a 29er hardtail. Less to go wrong when covering longer distances, though full sus bikes are pretty reliable these days. I done a 200 mile C2C earlier this year using my 29er hardtail and between the group I rode with I though my bike was the best for the job. Saying that though I was the only one riding a hardtail and the other guys managed just as well on bikes ranging from an xc bike to an enduro bike.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    29+ is awesome for munching the miles - did a SDW overnighter and would leave the guys riding full sussers on the downhills as you could just point and let it go! Plus bikes increasingly popular with the bike-packing crowd for good reason - I'd rather have big volume tyres for grip and comfort than running firm, skinny tyres and suspension.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Recently did a 120 miler on my Trance 29. Perfect bike for long days in the saddle.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Depends on terrain but I do 100k rides about once every two months on bridleways and tow path.. On my 26er HT..
    Having the bike set up properly and some padded inners makes it fine.. I get a tiny bit of discomfort after but for me eating properly is a bigger issue.. I tend not to feel like eating until I'm starting to bonk slightly so I need to work on little and often!