Hello from sittingboune, kent

mark.gilmour
mark.gilmour Posts: 7
edited January 2016 in Road beginners
Morning , after doing 8 months of spinning classes (because the club was nearly opposite my home) I've took the plunge to get back into road cycling.

Have googled around and found a group which meet up every Tuesday but would rather ride more informally as I'm not sure I can do 20+ miles yet .

Wondering if there is anyone localish who would like a ride buddy?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    This tool is quite good:

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/clubfinder

The CTC have something similar:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/local-groups

A lot of clubs have intro rides, not everyone blasts along on a 100 mile ride at 25mph, despite some of the stuff posted on here :wink:

In the meantime, ride your bike. One of the best things about cycling is that you are not dependent on someone else wanting to get out at the same time as you to ride as long as you and at your pace. Cycling buddies are good but just riding is the trick, cycling buddy or no.
  • Thanks for the links I did manage to get out for 15.miles yesterday and enjoyed it. Apart from when my front light came off the the clip and bounced under a bus!!
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    San Fairy Ann CC has plenty of groups to suit most abilities from A group to D groups (and Wednesday Wobblers) if you want a friendly group ride at weekends I know at least 2 in my group from Sittingbourne area. Have a look on the club web site, the group rides are scheduled and the meet place (if not Marden Station).

The groups do varied routes, cater for different average speeds, can be very social with a brekkie/lunch stop and you can move through groups as and when your ability/desire indicates you could move on. I started in the Bs and have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Well done on getting out, shame about the light.....
  • San FA are a decent bunch - good variation in the rides and routes too - just a shame about that aweful kit design
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Mad Roadie, don't start me on that one! Lol....