Aero//lightweight for big guy

smythy82
smythy82 Posts: 4
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I have been riding a Specialized Allez sport for the last 2 years and am to buy a higher tier bike. The Allez was a good bike but I need more! Traditionally all I have heard was light, light, light in regards to bike choice. About 3 months ago, I was taking to a well respected ex-pro, who`s opinion I highly respect, who very bluntly that I stupid for chasing a light weight machine and to go with the latest trend and get myself a road aero bike. He then proceeded to tell me that if I am 100kg and 6ft 3in, with not a stick of fat a light weight bike was pointless.

I can see the sense in his thinking? My latest bike visits have me looking at the Argon 18 Nitrogen.

Any comments please...particularly interested in aero road bike owners and big lads! :D

Comments

• sirmol
    sirmol Posts: 287
    What do you want from a new bike? Easier to climb? Speed? Or is it just a nice new shiny :)
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    What Sirmol said. But, in addition, I would suggest that no bike would be very 'aero' with a 6'3" 100kg human being on board - at least not enough to make any difference in the real world. IMHO your ex pro was talking ballocks (or had a new range of 'aero bikes' to sell). Sorry for the negative response.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Have to agree here, a light weight/aero road bike is like pi55ing in the Atlantic for us bigger guys. Get as aero position as you can on the bike you have, that will make a difference.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • There's probably some sense to what people are saying about aero and weight. That said, a nice bike is nicer to ride if not significantly quicker. Occasionally I jump on my original Focus Variado 105 aluminium framed bike and it just underlines how much more enjoyable my better bikes are to ride. And if they encourages you to ride further and more often, you will get faster.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Hi all,

I have been riding a Specialized Allez sport for the last 2 years and am to buy a higher tier bike. The Allez was a good bike but I need more! Traditionally all I have heard was light, light, light in regards to bike choice. About 3 months ago, I was taking to a well respected ex-pro, who`s opinion I highly respect, who very bluntly that I stupid for chasing a light weight machine and to go with the latest trend and get myself a road aero bike. He then proceeded to tell me that if I am 100kg and 6ft 3in, with not a stick of fat a light weight bike was pointless.

I can see the sense in his thinking? My latest bike visits have me looking at the Argon 18 Nitrogen.

Any comments please...particularly interested in aero road bike owners and big lads! :D

Take notice of your mate – he's got much more experience than 99% of people on here!

If you're a big guy and putting a lot of power out then a lightweight bike is no good for you. A lot of them do have weight restrictions.

If I were you I'd look for a custom carbon frame that's built with your weight and riding style in mind. My carbon frame is sort of aero, is over 1kg but built for me and because of that it rides superbly.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Just look at the profile of you on a bike head on. The bike frame is tiny by comparison to you. So any aero benefits are very very minimal

Just get a bike that rides well and you like the look of. Aero won't make you measurably faster.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    The fastest bike is the one you enjoy riding the most. Get whatever makes you happy.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Have to agree here, a light weight/aero road bike is like pi55ing in the Atlantic for us bigger guys. Get as aero position as you can on the bike you have, that will make a difference.

I agree, I am 6ft7 and 100KG, the biggest gain I got appart from fitness and eating fairly healthily was to ride in the drops more. Once I had adjusted my bike setup correctly this meant I was going faster with no additional effort. For bigger riders wind resistance is a big thing to overcome at speed.

Also wear tighter fitting clothing as being a large sail makes it hard work at higher speeds.

Another thing I found was 25 / 28mm tyres helped as well to smooth out the road more. I would be concerned about having a very light weight bike as it would take a real pounding from me, especially the wheels. This is why I ended up with a Diverge as it goes well off road as well.