SRAM Force 22 Compact Crank and 10 speed drive train

flatbattery
flatbattery Posts: 4
edited December 2015 in Workshop
I have just decided to switch my SRAM Force crankset to a SRAM Force compact crankset (50/34 | GXP)

Wondering if i can make this work by keeping components of the current 10 speed drivetrain:

10 speed chain
10 speed 11-28 cassette
Sram force 10 FD
Sram force 10 RD

I have installed the Crankset and am in the process of tuning the drive train and wondering if i am flogging a dead horse, ie do i need to upgrade some of my other components.

Things i notice:
A) Changing up and down the front is smooth.
B) The chain hits the rear-stay in reasonable small/small chain config, i figure i can fix this by dropping a link or two. Is that a correct assumption?
C) There is a chain rub on the FD when in reasonable big/big config. I figure i can tune this out by adjusting the FD. Is this a correct assumption, or do i need to switch to an 11 speed chain?

Any help will be massively appreciated, LBS is closed and i want to get some holiday riding in. My funk pistons need some love.

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    B-No that makes no difference , BTW what's a rear stay?
    Suppose you mean the chain rubs the frame on the 11 cog?
    C-Without trim steps on the shifters that's normal...
  • Hey Keezx, Thanks for the reply.

Yeah i mean the chain rubs on the frame on 11, if it's not too much slack in the chain what do you think is causing that?

I always thought the rear stay was the name for the rear part of the frame that extends from the bottom bracket to the rear axle, could be just some colloquial phrasing though.
    B-No that makes no difference , BTW what's a rear stay?
    Suppose you mean the chain rubs the frame on the 11 cog?
    C-Without trim steps on the shifters that's normal...
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211

Things i notice:
    A) Changing up and down the front is smooth.
    B) The chain hits the rear-stay in reasonable small/small chain config, i figure i can fix this by dropping a link or two. Is that a correct assumption?
    C) There is a chain rub on the FD when in reasonable big/big config. I figure i can tune this out by adjusting the FD. Is this a correct assumption, or do i need to switch to an 11 speed chain?

Any help will be massively appreciated, LBS is closed and i want to get some holiday riding in. My funk pistons need some love.

10 speed chainset is a 10 speed chainset and makes no difference whether it's a compact or standard chainring size. The length of the chain would be the only issue.
    A) Get a SRAM Force Yaw or Force 22 FD for even smoother front changing.
    B) If the chain is hitting the chainstays then the chain is too long.
    C) you don't need an 11 speed chain, you just need to adjust the FD correctly. SRAM are designed to work with some cross chaining but it doesn't mean you'll definitely not get any rubbing. You should get some trim from the FD to get almost the full range of the cassette if the FD is correctly indexed.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^^This +1
  • Thanks a bunch philthy3 and diamonddog.