What would be best older campag or new shimano?

Spooked
Spooked Posts: 90
edited December 2015 in Road general
Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a predicament. Picked up a new giant tcr advanced today.

The components on it are a bit of a mix. Shimano 105 rear derallieur, cassette and sti's. Shimano rs500 chainset and similar level brake calipers.

My other bike which I am to sell has a centuar group set with anthena Carbon cranks and record brake calipers.

The campag sti's are a little rattly on the road. I'd guess the bike has only done around 2000 miles in all weathers.

Question I have is what would you keep?I plan to sell the other bike off.

One set is brand new. Other is a little older and scratched up.

Appreciate any thoughts and help.

Cheers.

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,801
    I'll take the Campag kit off your hands for tenner.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • 'Old Campag' is not all created equally. The company started off as the great pioneer, and has become less and less innovative. Pretty much anything Record is worth having, but the lower ranges are hit and miss.
  • Thats great. Cheers.

Think I will stick with the 105 for now.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    So you clearly know what your campag kit is like.

You have the Shimano and can ride with that to compare it.

So why ask others?
  • I haven't ridden the shimano purely so that if I sell it its not been ridden and I have never ridden a shimano road groupset.

I come from a mountain biking background having raced for a number of years. I know very little about road bikes and thought this was a community to help others as I would if I could.

I am not aware which would deemed a better quality groupset which logically I would prefer to keep and sell the less quality groupset on. Perhaps I didnt make that clear.

But thank you for the helpful comments. Oh and thank you Mr Random Internet Person :roll:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It's personal preference. Some people like Shimano. Some people like campag. Only you can make your mind up.
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,143
    I have both old Centaur and Ultegra on different bikes, and each has its own strong and weak points.
    The Centaur is on the commuter/winter bike and has taken a battering but still just works and feels like it will for a long time yet. The Ultegra is super smooth and silent. Brakes are excellent on both with the right pads.
    I much prefer the simple installation of and maintenance of Shimano chainsets/bottom brackets, and also the general availability of Shimano wheels and tools - it is rare to get bargains on Campag anything.
    I have a minor preference for the Campag approach to gear shifting, pushing the lever for Shimano doesn't feel as natural. But both do the job very well, as long as you can cope with the different shifting style.
    As to which one I'd keep; is it 11 speed 105? If it was that would probably swing it for me. I'd sell the chainset before you've turned a wheel and get a 105, possibly brakes too. I did exactly the same on my Ultegra bike when I bought it, as it also came with an R500 chainset and non-series brakes. My OCD would never let me deal with a non-matching groupset and for a fairly small net outlay it all matches.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Campag spares cost more