Campagnolo Vento ASY several part question

codfather
codfather Posts: 359
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Please forgive the long post, but I didn't want to ask questions without giving the background. Would really appreciate some guidance on this

The context

I currently ride a parts box build 2006 Trek SL1000, a frame which I bought from a very close friend and which (while I still don't like the look of) I've come to enjoy riding. As it was constructed on the cheap it has 2x8 2300 shifters, Sora HT2 crank, 26mm cockpit and badly worn Shim R500s with knackered tyres. I quite like riding it, but would like to bring it up to date somewhat. Initially started looking at drivetrains but have recently decided a new wheel/tyre system would probably make a larger difference in terms of weight and general feel. Plus actually having some braking surface might improve stopping performance.

Still plan on a new drivetrain at some point; probably 10 speed, would prefer concealed cables like new Tiagra or 105 5700, with a 105 mech, to go with the Dura Ace cassette I picked up for £10 brand new at a boot sale.
I was thinking of trying one of the Chinese carbon integrated bars and stems, but quickly realised any half decent alloy pairing will be a)much cheaper b) adjustable c)arrive in less than 4 weeks d) the same weight e) less likely to snap in two. With this in mind, I'll be looking for a half decent oversized cockpit.

Starting to get to the point.

Recent browsing has left me rather confused and lost. I was never particularly serious a roadie and with my focus mainly in MTB, I'm unsure how different manufacturers and products rate. Doing my usual spec checking and online site browsing, I came across some Campag Vento ASYs in standard or G3 lacing for around £170 as a wheel/tyre system with Gatorskins or similar. Having spent a little time looking, came across CRC's current offer of a pair of Michelin Pro 3 Race tyres and tubes for £30. With the Campys weighing 1690g or so with a Shimano freehub, the Vento + Pro 3 + tubes +Dura Ace cassette sat on my desk weighs around 800g less than my current wheelset with cassette, without skewers, which seems like a fair saving for £160 or so.

It fight seem a bit foolish spending a large portion of money upgrading a bike that has cost less than £150 to build, but I'm rather attached to this frame and will never be a racer, so there's no need to sink huge amounts on another bike that I will, undoubtedly, not be able to tell apart from my upgraded 1000.

A series of questions

Does anyone have any real world experience of Ventos? Reviews seem good, but I'd prefer to get some proper opinions.

Does anyone have any better options within the same price/weight bracket? Askiums were another option.

If I were to purchase the Ventos, would I be able to use my current 8 speed cassette on them in the interim? Apologies if this is a rather silly question, but as stated, not a roadie.
Current fleet
2015 Transition Scout
2012 Nukeproof Scalp
2016 Genesis Latitude
2012 Transition Double
2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
2017 Fly Proton
???? Create Polo Bike

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Nothing wrong with Vento's , good wheels.
    I personally would prefer homebuilt for less money or Fulcrums R5 or R7's
    8 Speed Shimano cassettes can be used on wheels with 10 speed freewheelbody's.
    Upgrade shifters with Tiagra's 10 speed is not a bad idea, but indeed relatively expensive for a cheap bike.
    Alltogether you seem to have overtought it pretty good.
  • I've not heard a bad thing said about campag wheels and I've ordered a set myself a couple of days ago. The Tiagra option is also sound although 11 speed 105 is now available for about £280 and that truly is great value for money
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Thank you both, reassuring to know that what I've deduced is a decent wheelset actually is one.
    W.R.T. the groupset, I was erring more on the side of 105 10 speed, as it would mean £106 for shifters, £24 for rear mech and £15 for chain, meaning I'd be able to keep existing FC, FD and utilise the brilliant Dura Ace cassette that would otherwise sit idly on my desk.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    I wouldn't get too hung up on utilising that cassette. Better to get a complete 11 speed 105 groupset and see if you can get a few quid back for the Dura Ace cassette on Fleabay.
  • 5800 would be nice, but 10 speed is modern enough for me and it ends up being substantially cheaper. I'm not really in the position to drop several hundred pounds at a time on components.

On the subject of the wheels, the G3 lacing pattern is £130 rather than £120 for the standard and looks rather unappetizing, but presumably there's some real world benefit to it?
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    5800 would be nice, but 10 speed is modern enough for me and it ends up being substantially cheaper. I'm not really in the position to drop several hundred pounds at a time on components.

On the subject of the wheels, the G3 lacing pattern is £130 rather than £120 for the standard and looks rather unappetizing, but presumably there's some real world benefit to it?[/quote

I doubt it.
  • I agree with MrB123 I doubt there is any benefit to the G3 pattern other than it is used on the more expensive campag wheels.

If you can get all you need in 10spd for less than 11spd all well and good but there will be a turning point whereby due to lack of demand they will become more expensive and you can see that with some items which aren't that much cheaper in 10spd than 11 spd if at all
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition