Test riding bikes

apc1
apc1 Posts: 49
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi All

Just thought i would pass on my recent new bike buying experience

Background- sold 2010 Spesh Stumjumper FSR comp which was great for last 6 years and waslooking for new bike but unsure which wheel size to go for. 5'9, 72 kg, 46 years old with c20 years riding MB, do 80% xc and some red trail centre stuff.

Started looking at 650b to replace my 26er as seemed to be most versatile option. Was concerned 29ers were just too big for me, would be hard to manouvere and they just look TOO BIG. Having visited a few shops the advice was to try a 29er and 650b back to back before making a decision. I had read so many reviews/forums trying to work out what wheel size was best for last couple of months I thought 650b would probably be the winner!!!..........but it seemed sensible advice because my head was spinning I was about to spend £2k+ on a bike.

First 29er- test rode 2016 stumpjumper FSR(£3.5k) for 10 miles over varied terrain including tight twisty rooty rocky stuff and was amazed by level of grip, stability and increased level of confidence it gave me. It had me grinning ear to ear and couldn't believe it. As for lack of agility, I was expecting it to be like a London bus but was surprised to find not the case and would describe the steering as heavier but still agile enough to do everything I wanted it to do.......

Second 650b - 2016 stumpjumper carbon comp (£3k) for the same 10 mile route so i could compare. Straight away I felt I was almost on my old bike although it was better- more slight evolution than revolution. The steering was lighter and slightly easier to maouvere although I found the ride was a little more nervous and sketchy to my surprise. I was finding myself working harder/more busy in terms of steering, being more careful about the line I was taking over rooty, rocky stuff and I had a slight feeling of reduced confidence in the bike.

At the end of the day (to my surprise) I ended up with a 29er and it feels like a real step up in performance and my confidence from my old bike. Not saying 29ers are best because it depends where you ride in my opinion and this will dictate what you end up with.

All I'm saying is test ride bike before you buy, don't just read forums because people have strong opinions either way - keep an open mind, test ride a few bikes because you might be surprised!!! I did find the that you quickly see the differences for yourself and its so much easier to make a decision either way.

Not expecting any responses necessarily - this is just my MTB buying advice;)

Comments