Garmin questions

cycleclinic
cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
edited January 2016 in Road general
Getting fed up with the lack of mapping on the 500 I have. It works fine until I am somewhere I don't know like on boxing day. So an 800 810 or 1000 are o the cards. However I am prone to lomg rides, longer than the battery would last. So given that what are my options of giving it more battery life. A dynamo hub is a possibility but it means yet another front wheel and I have enough of those already and given there is n more than one bike I use for long distance rides that means more than one lamp and I won't want the lamp on all my bikes all the time. Also kne bike has disc brakes so that two new wheels. I have seen these garmin battery extenders I assume there is no issue with these. Also how do they get around resetting the Garmin when they plugged in.
http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.

Comments

• marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I use one of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Astro-E1-Portable-Technology-Black/dp/B00P8SY7HQ

Plugs in and runs my 800 just fine on the road. With the 510, it does go into an auto shut down when you unplug it (but there is a button to press to stop it) (this is all despite having clicked on the the auto-power down options in the thing).

That'll keep me going for easily 600km. On stuff longer than that, I charge the battery pack during the day (from my dynohub and Luxos U light) and then it is ready for more action. I can keep going indefinitely like that.

Some of the newer Garmins have the USB on the very bottom (the 510 is like that), so an out front mount is needed to have access to the USB socket. Or charge it at cafe stops and sleep stops.
  • TerryCTR
    TerryCTR Posts: 143
    I just swapped my 510 for the 520 and I would recommend that for maps and good battery life
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    How is the 1000 with charging on the move. Thanks that is cheaper than garmin version.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    How is the 1000 with charging on the move. Thanks that is cheaper than garmin version.

I've had my 1000 out on a 170 mile ride without it running flat. I did turn wifi and Bluetooth off however. You can charge it whilst it's on without the device powering down, any of the usb battery packs will do the job, just choose based on capacity you want.
  • How Far is too Far
    How Far is too Far Posts: 534
    edited December 2015
    I have done 600k ride with a Garmin 1000 and only used a 2000 mha phone charger to keep it going, it was on 70% when I finished. I charged it at cafe stops etc.

I have a 520 now as well and the battery is very good on that it was on 68% after 105 miles on a recent ride, but that was not using the maps.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    I just swapped my 510 for the 520 and I would recommend that for maps and good battery life

The 520 doesn't have mapping. It has a trace map instead of the cake trail of the 500 and 510, but it isn't true mapping.

The 810 reliability has been wrecked by the 520 using the same firmware platform and the updates messing things up re bluetooth. For reliability, try and find an 800 or if you don't mind the size, go for the 1000.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • TerryCTR

The 520 doesn't have mapping. It has a trace map instead of the cake trail of the 500 and 510, but it isn't true mapping.

The 810 reliability has been wrecked by the 520 using the same firmware platform and the updates messing things up re bluetooth. For reliability, try and find an 800 or if you don't mind the size, go for the 1000.

Really:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/05/download-garmin-705800810.html

It doesn't have active gps but you can load full detailed maps to it much like the 810/1000

If your recommending the 800 then the 810 is the better bet as you can load rides to connect/strava without the need of plugging into a computer
  • StillGoing

Really:

It doesn't have active gps but you can load full detailed maps to it much like the 810/1000

If your recommending the 800 then the 810 is the better bet as you can load rides to connect/strava without the need of plugging into a computer

Mapping isn't what DC Rainmaker is describing. All the 520 has is a trace line albeit on a map background instead of just a line like the 500 and 510. True mapping is only on the 705, 800, 810 and 1000.

The 800 is better than the 810 simply because the 810 is fucked with the alterations made to the firmware to cater for the 520. I use an 810 and know full well that it should be better than the 800, but with the faults it now has, anyone with sense would opt for the 800 or the 1000 over the 810.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    i ve just got a 520 and downloaded the better map as per DC 's 'site but i ve not played around with this bit of it so far.

what do you mean by True Mapping?
    i m assuming you mean a turn by turn function, say down loading a predetermined route, like a sat nav?
    i guess the 520 just shows you where you are/have been on the map?
  • TerryCTR
    i ve just got a 520 and downloaded the better map as per DC 's 'site but i ve not played around with this bit of it so far.

i m assuming you mean a turn by turn function, say down loading a predetermined route, like a sat nav?

That was my thoughts re active gps. On the 1000 for example you can say I want to go a 20 mile ride and it will throw up some options. If you take a wrong turn it will re route.

I know the 520 can't do any of that but I still have very detailed maps on the 520 now using the website that Dc rainmaker suggests so yeah what is meant by True Mapping

I was under the impression that you can load pre determined routes to the 520 and from some videos I watched it was saying right in 500 yards etc

I'm actually hoping they bring an 820 out so its similar in size to the 520 but has the full functionality of the 820 with the extras the 520 has
  • How long are these rides that kill your battery?

My Garmin 1000 lasts all day and never goes below 50%.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407

That was my thoughts re active gps. On the 1000 for example you can say I want to go a 20 mile ride and it will throw up some options. If you take a wrong turn it will re route.

I know the 520 can't do any of that but I still have very detailed maps on the 520 now using the website that Dc rainmaker suggests so yeah what is meant by True Mapping

I was under the impression that you can load pre determined routes to the 520 and from some videos I watched it was saying right in 500 yards etc

I'm actually hoping they bring an 820 out so its similar in size to the 520 but has the full functionality of the 820 with the extras the 520 has

You can download a route to the 520 and follow it on screen as a line with colour of your choice. It looks nice with the OSM map as descibed on Rainmaker's site. As the others have said, it doesn't do proper live "routing", but works fine for a pre planned route. The 520 is compact, very neat, and mine at least seems rock solid reliable.
  • PLuKE
    PLuKE Posts: 181
    I had a 810 as a present, the mapping that came with it wasn't good, basic, couldn't input any postcodes and wanted to map me on a cycle path where I live, but this place is full of them. I tried the open maps but still no good, I even found it slow.

I bought myself a 1000, screen is much nicer and the phone/text notifications are nice too. Mapping seems better, you can put in a postcode but only the first 3 letters/number.

The 810 is a smaller size than the 1000 but the 810 is thicker, but the 1000 for me. I am more amount style and aero on my bike. But having it out front on a K Edge mount, with it flat

Luke
    2013 Merida Ride 93 Carbon
  • I just swapped my 510 for the 520 and I would recommend that for maps and good battery life

Really:

Mapping isn't what DC Rainmaker is describing. All the 520 has is a trace line albeit on a map background instead of just a line like the 500 and 510. True mapping is only on the 705, 800, 810 and 1000.

The 800 is better than the 810 simply because the 810 is farked with the alterations made to the firmware to cater for the 520. I use an 810 and know full well that it should be better than the 800, but with the faults it now has, anyone with sense would opt for the 800 or the 1000 over the 810.

You are wrong. By default the map it comes with is useless but I built a map and have it on my 520 and it works fine just like it does on my 1000. The only issue is that the storage space on the 520 is limited so I can't have full UK map so I currently only have a map for the south east and if i were to go somewhere else I would need to remove this map and put another map on.

My map is based on Open Street map which the 1000 map is also based on.
  • StillGoing

Really:

The 800 is better than the 810 simply because the 810 is farked with the alterations made to the firmware to cater for the 520. I use an 810 and know full well that it should be better than the 800, but with the faults it now has, anyone with sense would opt for the 800 or the 1000 over the 810.

You are wrong. By default the map it comes with is useless but I built a map and have it on my 520 and it works fine just like it does on my 1000. The only issue is that the storage space on the 520 is limited so I can't have full UK map so I currently only have a map for the south east and if i were to go somewhere else I would need to remove this map and put another map on.

My map is based on Open Street map which the 1000 map is also based on.

So it doesn't have full mapping and is nothing like the 1000. Now, people may argue that they only need maps for the locality they are in and in which case, the 520 might suffice if all you're going to do is follow a pre-installed route in the same area, but for those who like to ride elsewhere and don't want to fark about loading and unloading different maps, such as when doing events in different counties or countries, the 520 is a pain in the backside.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Don't buy one then, stick with the one that does what you want it to.
  • Ed_P
    Ed_P Posts: 12
    As another poster above suggested, switch to the 520- it's a long better and perfect for those longer rides.

-Ed
  • StillGoing
    Don't buy one then, stick with the one that does what you want it to.

I don't need to if you bother reading the full thread. I already have an 810. With full mapping The OP wanted suggestions for a device with mapping. :roll: