Weird behaviour of clipless pedals

strauss_jon
strauss_jon Posts: 39
edited December 2015 in Road general
Hi there.

Got some look keo clipless pedals and the old cleats wore out. No problem unclipping with the old lot until i got replacements (4.5 degrees, previously 9). I found out the hard (embarrassing) way that they only release when i push my feet towards the bike, not away from it? No matter how much force i use, they dont release to the outside (like they should surely?). Ive tried alternating the cleats in case there's a left and right (although i dont think there is)...and messed about with the adjustment screw on the pedal. All to no avail. I can't for the life of me figure out what's going on here. Surely they're not supposed to release towards the frame? I'm just going to stick my foot in a moving wheel before too long.

Any ideas? I'm staring at the cleats and pedals and i just can't figure out what's going on.

Some ideas would be appreciated. Cheers, Jon

Comments

• TerryCTR
    TerryCTR Posts: 143
    The look cleats are meant to be quite stiff to begin but do eventually ease off.

They should click out if you push your heel out the way, silly question perhaps but at what clock position are the pedals at when you are trying to unclip
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Should release either way (in or out). I always clip out at 12 O'clock as I find I get a better twist at that position. Are you sure you have cleats you have bought are compatible with your pedals? Take the cleats off the shoes and hold the new cleats up against the old ones to make sure you have been supplied with the correct ones. I think the Look cleats all (forgive the pun) look similar but classics, Keo & I think Keo Max don't mix.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • Thanks for your replies.

Bit bonkers this. I've compared with the old ones and they look identical. I generally try and clip out at (instinctively) 6ish, probably because there's more leverage. I've tried 12 and they're still completely locked. If i really force it, to the point where my feet are moving in the shoe it will eventually come out (with a bit of a bang) - but there's no dignity in such force and it will end up in disaster when ill need to get out quick. It releases really easily towards the bike, just not the other way. And this is both left and right that do this. Maybe it is just tight to begin with so ill probably go out and clip / unclip loads and hope it releases in time. But this took me by surprise when i tried to get out on my first run, thankfully there was a lamp post that i got hold of when the lights went red! Even if they're tight to begin with, i dont think they're supposed to be this tight. It's just dangerous.
  • Should release either way (in or out). I always clip out at 12 O'clock as I find I get a better twist at that position. Are you sure you have cleats you have bought are compatible with your pedals? Take the cleats off the shoes and hold the new cleats up against the old ones to make sure you have been supplied with the correct ones. I think the Look cleats all (forgive the pun) look similar but classics, Keo & I think Keo Max don't mix.

This, buddy, no point in looking at them.. if they dont work , they will never work.
    Get the correct cleats.
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • TerryCTR
    TerryCTR Posts: 143
    edited December 2015
    Sounds like you may have a variant that isn't compatible with the pedal as suggested above.

Have you confirmed they go with the pedal and are the same model as your old cleats
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2
  • Ill triple check and come back to you. I compared with the old ones, and they look absolutely identical. In the mean time, thanks again for your responses and will be back with info in a bit. Have a nice eve.
  • Just for your info...

Links to pedals and cleats
    http://www.starbike.com/en/look-keo-classic/
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/look-keo-grip-cleats/rp-prod23668

Seem to be compatible?

Weirdly they seem to be a bit better now (only tried in lounge though!). I 'think' i am lifting my heel up with pressure on toes and then it gets stuck - but when i push out flat it seems to be better. It still gets stuck sometimes but it's probably my technique that's wrong then. It's just odd as I've been using clipless for years but never really thought what i'm doing or observed - until now. I tried with the old cleats with the heels lifting up and it similarly has a tendency to get stuck (so how i didn't observe this before with my old set i dont know). Anyway..... no worries...ill just give it a try outside this week and if it gets obviously stuck again pulling out flat then they're back to chain reaction. Just out of curiosity - if you do the heel up thing and try to pull out does it work or is it more difficult? Thanks for your input ;)
  • Sorry, just wanted to apologise for my utterly stupid last thread...and that I sincerely hold my head in shame. Please ignore...night night all zzz
  • Clip in, twist out.
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    All Keo cleats are compatible with all Keo pedals.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    All Keo cleats are compatible with all Keo pedals.

I stand corrected, it was the Look Classic Delta (the original Look cleat) I was confusing with the Keo Classic.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )