Advice on upgrading girlfriends bike to drop handles.

boxrick
boxrick Posts: 38
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
My girlfriend currently has a Specialized Sirrus bike. I have bought her some drop handlebars, but I will require some STI shifters and various other components to go with it. Could someone point me in the right direction to specifically what I would need or should be looking at?

Here are some pictures of the bike.

Cheers for any help!

gfbike1.jpg
gfbike2.jpg
gfbike3.jpg
gfbike4.jpg

Comments

• As above, it would probably be more hassle that it's worth.
    you will need to buy at least 2 sti levers (the most expensive part of a groupset) which are compatible with your current gears. If the pull ratio is different between shimano MTB and road groupsets then you would also need new dérailleurs.

You'll also need a pull ratio converter for the brake levers as sti levers are not compatible with vee brakes by themselves- without the converter it would be incredibly dangerous.

As already said the geometry would also be a bit off.

In all honesty, if your girlfriend wants a drop bar bike it would be easier to buy a second hand drop bar bike.

Good luck.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    As already eluded to, not economical to do and would not be nice to ride as the bikes geometry is optimised for flat bars. Put some bar ends on if she wants a variation in hand position.
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I also have a Sirrus, but when I wanted drop bars I bought a road bike although I still use the Sirrus quite a lot. It's not worth trying to convert it to drops. If she wants more hand positions, just add on some bar ends which I find useful on my Sirrus. If she definitely wants a drop bar bike, it's as well buying a road bike and selling the Sirrus if necessary, after giving it a good clean and lube :wink:
  • Btwin something would do. Probs around the same price as a conversion
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why does she want drop bars?
    It will be a bastardized hybrid, not a road bike.

Don't waste your time/money bodging that up, or taking your chances with secondhand, or mess around with a list price BTwin, get her one of these if you love her!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/valence-a4-forma-2015-womens-road-bike-ec072568

Return the drop bars, clean up and sell the Sirrus (people love Specialized!).

If you need the less girly one:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/norco/valence-a4-2015-road-bike-ec072597
  • Have you looked at anything such as Modolo Dumbo handlebars as a cheaper, easy option?

eg. http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/modolo-dumbo-3d-multi-position-handlebars-254mm-clamp-black-590mm-prod35194/

I have a set of these in the garage, they were great ~7 years ago for giving me extra hand positions, when I started cycling again after my nasty lower back injury.

You should find that all her current bike shifter and brakes will all attach to a bar like this.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Does she want drops? You could have bought her some bike cleaning kit...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    As I eluded in my previous post, I think its the OP's bike 8)