fed up with threaded headset, rounding of nuts problem

ben-----
ben----- Posts: 573
edited December 2015 in Workshop
I bought a new threaded headset (Stronglight A9 Steel Headset 1") ages ago and finally got round to replacing the old one which was in a bad way a month or two ago (my biggest mechanics' accomplishment that was). Just recently it came a bit loose, and in trying to tighten it I've rounded off both nuts and damaged both of the spanners, the thin spanner being a Park Tools one so not crap quality. Bit fed up. Is there anything I can do to avoid this problem? Maybe replace the thin small, now rounded off, nut with a fatter normal one? Would that be possible? (I can't wait to get rid of this bike, but in the meantime… ) Thanks.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Never rounded of lock nuts. I have many bikes with threaded headsets and I also as a mechanic I have sorted many more. If the lock nut is properly torqued it will not come loose. None of my own bikes ever have this problem.

The tools I uses are a cyclus 32mm spanner and a 32mm/36mm spanner I got for tightening up or taking of viscous fan couplings in cars. Just because it is a park tool spanner does not mean it is the best for the job. Not all there tools are brilliant. Most are some are merely adaquate some like there tyre levers are crap.

Lock nuts are interchangeable. It may also be that the A9 steel locknut is a bit undersized don't know never used one. The only A9 headset I use is the alloy and the lock nut on these is not undersize.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ben-----
    ben----- Posts: 573
    Never rounded of lock nuts. I have many bikes with threaded headsets and I also as a mechanic I have sorted many more. If the lock nut is properly torqued it will not come loose. None of my own bikes ever have this problem.

The tools I uses are a cyclus 32mm spanner and a 32mm/36mm spanner I got for tightening up or taking of viscous fan couplings in cars. Just because it is a park tool spanner does not mean it is the best for the job. Not all there tools are brilliant. Most are some are merely adaquate some like there tyre levers are crap.

Lock nuts are interchangeable. It may also be that the A9 steel locknut is a bit undersized don't know never used one. The only A9 headset I use is the alloy and the lock nut on these is not undersize.

OK thanks. I'll just have to get some new nuts and try again. There doesn't seem, without having looked into it in detail so I could be wrong, that there is any need for the bottom of the two lock nuts to be only a few millimetres thick. If that was a decent thickness that would help I think. :/