Anyone have a Gore Xenon 2.0 Windstopper Softshell Jacket?

prhymeate
prhymeate Posts: 795
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
I'm thinking of buying one and was wondering if anyone uses it for the entire winter, or is it not warm enough for that? I've read a few reviews on wiggle saying it's good for around 3c with a baselayer but nobody seemed to comment on colder temps.

Comments

• As water resistant, possibly a bit more so (taped seams). Less warm overall. But, frankly, proper winter is still very distant and anything that works in less cold temps will work well. I don't think, even if you get the yellow one, that the high vis is significantly better in the real world. I'd keep the Aeron and get a good daytime running light.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • SoSimple
    SoSimple Posts: 301
    Got one and a Phantom and for anything approaching or below zero, I go with the Phantom as Xenon feels a bit thin.

It does work well with a thick baselayer, especially on a hilly ride where your core temperature will rise.

Really well made piece of kit like all Gore stuff but then again like all softshells, take the water resistance with a pinch of salt - you will get wet in persistent rain!
  • Parentini Mossa will keep you warm, with the right base layer, and very dry. Extremely visible, of course.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Thanks for the replies. I'm not too worried about water resistance as much as I am staying warm. I don't usually head out in the winter if it's already raining but obviously it'd be handy if caught in a downpour.
    The Parentini Mossa does look like a nice jacket, although I think it's out of my price range as the only place I can find it in the UK is £175 and I'm looking around the £100 mark. I should have mentioned that before.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,466
    I always think a lot of people overestimate how hardy they are. If its going to be below 3 degrees it'll probably be icey so most will stay in. If its wind proof but not that thick wear a base layer and a long sleeve jersey under it. No point getting a super warm jacket you'll wear once a year
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • I've got one and find it's a great solution for dry or showery conditions from about 5 degrees up to around 12 degrees. Colder than that and I use something with more warmth and warmer than that I prefer something cooler. I use a variety of base layer thicknesses, no jersey underneath but you could extend its range downwards with more layering. If it really is cold, rather than cool, weather you are targeting then I would go with something which has some insulation - this has very effective windstopper material but no insulation.

I do find temperature suitability is really personal depending on whether you run warm or cold. I tend to feel the cold and have friends who would be cooking in it at that but then they think short sleeves and shorts in 3 degrees is a good plan!
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    I bought an Oxygen Windstopper softshell from Amazon (£48) in the sales and it was delivered today so took out for a spin. From looking at the web it is very similar to the Xenon - same fabrics and RRP. Don't really need it but was very very cheap so thought why not?
    Anyway, tried it out this afternoon for a quick 40 mile blast, finishing just at sunset. Way above the temperature range and probably would have chosen my Castelli Alpha jersey in the warm dry and windy conditions but wanted to try it out. I had to open the pit zips after about 5 miles and the zip was half way open by 10. Initially I felt like I'd turn into a sweaty mess but venting did its job and wasn't uncomfortable. As the temperature dropped a few degrees for the last half hour towards sunset zipped it up a bit and felt much better.
    I think its a useful addition to my commuting wardrobe, but it would need to be really cold before I'd choose it over the Alpha jersey, which is a similar price to the Xenon the OP is looking at. For example the temperature range of that is much bigger, fit is much better, looks better (OK that is subjective). I have not tried the Oxygen jacket out in the rain but it looks like it would cope very well - but then again so does the Alpha.