Strava Navigation/route planning

Rhod81
Rhod81 Posts: 116
edited December 2015 in Road general
Hi everyone, happy Christmas and all that malarkey...

Normally I use my Garmin and upload to Strava once getting home, but tomorrow - being forced to visit family an all that - I have persuaded the better half it would be a good idea for me to cycle there...

Anyway, I have (literally just now) sussed out how to load a pre planned Strava route onto my phone, my question is does it work like a Tom tom/Google maps, and move along, giving turn by turn directions, be it visual or audible? I have a bag on the top tube behind the head tube it could sit in and be visible, but I'm thinking if it doesn't keep me posted, as I'll be passing through some big towns on roads I've not been on before, it might not be a good idea???

My Edge 510 is not really up to the navigational job...

Ta.

Comments

• chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    My 800 gives turn by turn instructions. It says 3km or whatever to a turn point on the screen and a light beep (I'm half deaf so not helpful). It has a coloured line on the map where you're supposed to be going.
    I have to say it's a shit sat nav, it tries to take me down muddy tracks, dual carriageways and never picks a direct route if I enter the destination. Say our holiday place in Lyme Regis to Tri UK Yeovil via Langport and Street. If I upload a route sometimes it loses the route easily and then gives me a shit route to the end point.
  • I've followed many a route in unknown places using my 510, works a treat. What problems have you had? I just found that you have to set the zoom level at the right scale so you get a better feel for how far the next turn is.