Starting Road Cycling

AKCrystal
AKCrystal Posts: 3
edited December 2015 in Road beginners
Hi

Just wanted to say hi, and that I am planning to get into road cycling training, as me and a friend are planning on taking part in a Help For Heroes Ride in 2017, it should gives us enough time to get ready.

I will be looking to get my first road bike in Jan, but thought it might be an idea to start running before then, so that I can get a schedule in place. I know that I can go out riding after work as I only work till 2pm.

So till I get my bike, I plan to get most of the basic equipment that I need, so that I can get out and ride, and have a training schedule in place.

Comments

• Welcome to the addictive world of cycling :)

With a year until your event you could get yourself in pretty good shape. Good idea to follow a training plan as it's very easy to do lots of junk miles and not make the progression you could do following a plan. Depending on where you live you'll be training through winter so you might want to look at getting an indoor trainer for cold / wet winter days. Summer where I am but I still do my key workouts on my trainer.

Have fun and be safe on the road.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Prepare to empty your wallet :)

The advice i would give is firstly take time to get your bike setup properly or it will be an instrument of torture. Next buy bibs as they are much more comfortable and better fitting. Lastly if you look on ebay there is alot of cycling clothing for sale used but in virtually new condition from quality brands like gore, castelli etc.
  • All of the above! A bike that fits is essentail ,take your time in choosing.
    You seem like you are going about things the right way for starters. Good luck and enjoy!
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    I also recommend that you buy a bike that fits you, but forking out money for a bike fit is not essential. What sort of road bike are you considering? If you live in the UK and are planning to ride a lot starting in January, you would be best getting one with one with wheels and tyres suitable for winter weather.

Seems a bit early to be considering training schedules before getting the right bike and starting riding it.
  • I also recommend that you buy a bike that fits you, but forking out money for a bike fit is not essential. What sort of road bike are you considering? If you live in the UK and are planning to ride a lot starting in January, you would be best getting one with one with wheels and tyres suitable for winter weather.

Seems a bit early to be considering training schedules before getting the right bike and starting riding it.

I'm starting off running first, so I get into the habit, rather than just sitting on my backside. So the training schedule is more figuring out, when I can do things rather than a detailed plan of what I'll be doing training wise. That can come later.

I have a Evans bike shop in my town, and they've been great, when I've been fixing up my neglected commuter bike. I trust their advice, so I know if I get a bike from them, they'll help me set it up.
    Kajjal wrote:
    Prepare to empty your wallet :)

The advice i would give is firstly take time to get your bike setup properly or it will be an instrument of torture. Next buy bibs as they are much more comfortable and better fitting. Lastly if you look on <a href="http://ebay.co.uk&quot; class="skimwords-link" target="_blank" data-skimwords-id="874161" data-skimlinks-editor="0" data-skimwords-word="ebay" data-group-id="0" data-skim-creative="300001" data-skim-product="874161" title="" occurrence="1" data-skim-node-id="335:Theadviceiwouldgivei_2">ebay</a><span style="position: absolute;"></span><span style="position: absolute;"></span> there is alot of cycling clothing for sale used but in virtually new condition from quality brands like gore, castelli etc.

Yeah I've realised that, hence why I plan to get the basics prior to the bike, as well as the safety gear.

Thanks for the warm welcome and advice guys I appreciate it