Miche or dura ace hubs

Frank pole
Frank pole Posts: 112
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Just sorting out a hand built set of wheels

Archetypes with dura ace hubs@ 520.00 per set
Archetypes with miche hubs@ 320.00 per set

I'm a 85 kilo rider and I'm a plodder, not a tt racer!

I do 50-80 miles per week

Is it worth the extra for the dura ace?

Thanks in advance - and merry Christmas!

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Da hubs are a bit lighter hut not by enough to make a difference, da hubs have a ti freehub body. Miche freehubs are alloy but if the locking are done up tight enough gauging is never a big problem. Miche freehubs are also cheap at £34 each. A new da 9000 freehub is £150. DA freehubs will eventually wear out.

DA9000 hubs need occasional servicing but if that done they can last silly number of miles. Miche hubs have big cartridge bearings that can do high miles but when they wear out they are £6 each (6001C3) and they can be replaced over and over again. So the hub can do a silly number be of miles. What will kill it in the end is the ratchet ring wearing out. That will take a while though.

24f/28r is all you need.

DA9000 hubs look nicer. DA hubs make sense for the high mileage rider who rides in all weather's as maintenence will be less frequent. For someone riding 5000 miles a year on the wheels the miche hubs will be fine.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I have a set of Archetypes with Miche Primato hubs 32 spokes F & R.

I'd say save the money and go with the Primatos, but to each their own...

Good Luck with whatever you decide.

^^ Malcolm covers it well above ^^
  • Call the midwife anyone? Glad there are more than just one logged on!
    OK had Dura ace hubs on the best wheels once , but a long time ago. They were
    awsome and my old club still have them on some tt wheels 20 years on albeit with a more limited gear choice than we would expect nowadays. Can't comment on the modern ones, but I guess they are just as good and look "the b*ll*cks".
    Saying that don't know anything about Miche hubs but know that Malcom at cycleclinic rates them highly and his advice is good.
    Big price difference you pays your money. Hope you had a great Christmas.
  • OK cheers guys for the input - I'll go with the miche

Malcolm, is there any other wide rims you would suggest at a similar price point?

I would need atleast 28/32 as I do carry a 10 kilo backpack most days
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    don't see the point in handbuilt wheels and scimping on components, so buy quality dura ace hubs especialy if they are going to be given some stick and carrying loads.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    don't see the point in handbuilt wheels and scimping on components, so buy quality dura ace hubs especialy if they are going to be given some stick and carrying loads.

This. DA hubs roll soooo nice. The freehub won't wear out for years at OP's mileage, so it's a small price to pay to enjoy a superior wheelset.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • The da hubs are so tempting! Shame they are so much more wonga!

As a middle ground choice - how would the 6800 ultegra hubs compare? As these are not a lot more money than the miche (my bike already runs full ultegra chainset and brakes )

As a middle ground choice - how would the 6800 ultegra hubs compare? As these are not a lot more money than the miche (my bike already runs full ultegra chainset and brakes )
  • Grill
    I have a set of 32/32 6800 hubs on Archetypes and I can fault them. Done everything from the Mille Cymru to a weeks climbing in the Apps on them. I even went straight into a curb at 25mph which was enough to break my steel frame in half but they stayed true.

If you are happy with 32, get a pair of Ultegra. I struggle to see in which way Dura Ace are 2.5 times better. They share the same technology. The 6800 have proved super reliable, smooth rolling, solid, they look ace and they come with exceptional quality skewers.
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    ultegra hubs are very good and very reliable. All hubs roll well. rolling resistance in any hub is less than 10 times what the tyre rolling resistance is. It is simply not possible to disern rolling resistance of hubs when riding as it is less than 1W at speed on a properly maintained hub.

As for wide rims. The archetype is excellent but the Kinlin XR22T is available now in offset drilling. Cheaper as well. Tyres are a tighter fit though. Archetype is prettier. The Dt Swiss R460 is another decent rim but it is the same price as the Kinlin but no offset drilling. Dt swiss RR440 rim is the only other rim with offset drilling that would be suitable but it is not as wide.

At 50 to 80 miles a week it does not matter if it is a Miche, ultegra or DA hub from a reliability point of view as that is not enough miles to wear any of them out quickly. It would take possibly 2 to 3 years of mixed weather riding to wear out the rear hub bearings on Miche hubs. the fronts last longer. You will have serviced the bearings on 6800 or 9000 hubs by then but you will be waiting a while for them to wear out.

6800 and 9000 hubs are expensive enough that owner will have them rebuilt. Miche hubs are cheap enough that if when the rims are worn and the bearing and freehub are shot it is maybe the case the owner cant be bothered servicing them and just bin them for new ones. This is the actual difference between cheap and expensive hubs. I have a fair number of wheelset with expensive hub and cheaper miche ones. Can't tell the bloody difference when riding they all feel like hubs to me ( i have everything from miche to DA to Campagnolo record and chorus to Royce Ti/carbon specials).
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    seriously look at the hope hubs. id be looking at them over dura ace/miche
  • Grill
    Hope hubs are fine but soooo loud. Don't like CK for the same reason.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    shove more grease in the freehub body...

ive got CK as well :)

noise :)
  • cycleclinic
    The problem with hope is they are no more reliable than miche and cost more money. At least with shimano hubs you get something different in terms of construction. More grease in the freehub mechanism does not make hope quiet either.

Campagnolo record are overlooked for a 32F 32R set. Lighter than ultegra not much more money they have longevity of (all the internals can be replaced so even neglect can't kill them. Like cartridge bearing hubs the ratchet wearing out will do the hub in but that takes an age.
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    how about shimano 105 5800 hubs? a bit cheaper and could be the same to service as ultegra 6800.
  • how about shimano 105 5800 hubs? a bit cheaper and could be the same to service as ultegra 6800.

5800 has a simpler construction with a classic threaded nut instead of the ratchet for cone adjustment. The ratchet is infinitely friendlier to adjust than the classic nut... in that respect the 6800 are totally worth the difference in price
    left the forum March 2023
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    fair enough Ugo.
  • cycleclinic
    Also the bearings last longer in wltegra hubs. 50,000 miles has been known.