The London Bike Show 2016

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited February 2016 in Road general
I just booked tickets for this cycling show in February 2016. Is anyone else going? I'm hoping to get a few accessories and clothing cheaply from there!

Comments

• DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    If it's anything like the NEC bike show, then you're going to be very disappointed.
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    My first time at the nec this year and I'm glad I went but I won't be going again ..... A lot of pointless stands just to make the numbers up but I'm glad I've seen it ... Il probably wait 5 years or so to wait for new technology to come out
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    If it's anything like any trade show, then you're going to be very disappointed.
    FTFY
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ^ What he said.

Why are they so bad?
    They should be great!
  • rumbataz
    Oh well, I'll report back in February. It'll be a day out anyway so I plan to make the most of it.
  • I really don't understand these shows. Why we should pay to look at products people want to sell to us seems bizarre to me. They may have a few 'sideshows' going on but I've yet to see anything I'd pay good money for.
  • In general there are very few stands selling kit, and the ones that do are often too crowded to get a good look / spend time in without being elbowed out of the way.

I use the shows to get a few ideas and visit other retailers to buy.

Some stands are like a big jumble sale - offloading the stuff they cannot sell online for the rest of the year.
  • I've been twice- the first time I went was OK, got to test ride a Cube Litening on the crit circuit they'd made for the London nocturne races which was fun, saw Danny McAskill ride during his stunt show and then watched the racing in the evening.
    The stands themselves weren't that great- no special deals and no more information available than online anyway.

The second time I went the test track was just an up and down affair with few bikes I wanted to ride anyway, not that riding on the tiles of the Excel actually replicates the real world...
    The stands weren't that great either- I won't be going again.
  • Good if you have a particular bike you want to try, Canyon for example that aren't easy to test ride anywhere else. Bit rubbish if you're just looking for bargains, although I guess if you go on the last afternoon you might pick up a few bits on the cheap.
  • rumbataz
    Anybody already been to the show and got anything to report back on?

I'm going tomorrow so will post anything of interest that I see.
  • We've just posted a gallery...

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/london-bike-show-2016-gallery-46367/

Probably worth a visit! Annoyed I didn't go yesterday tbh
    BikeRadar Communities Manager
  • rumbataz
    joshjevans wrote:
    We've just posted a gallery...

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/london-bike-show-2016-gallery-46367/

Probably worth a visit! Annoyed I didn't go yesterday tbh

Thanks for that. It's whetted my appetite.
  • rumbataz
    So a bit a let-down as far as I was concerned. It was part of four exhibitions in the same hall form what I could tell. The venue is an utter PITA to get to. Toilet facilities were frankly ridiculous - very long queues for the gents.

There were lots of small exhibitor stands demonstrating and selling their wares.

I won't be going again next year if it's part of several other exhibitions and if it's at the ExCel Centre again.
  • johngti
    johngti Posts: 2,508
    I went specifically to look for some sunglasses. Got some from naked runner. Very nice, comfy shades, Carbon fibre arms, clear and dark lens and on offer since it's a new company.
  • oldbazza
    oldbazza Posts: 646
    Thought it was ok actually,only bought a Velominati t-shirt(and a light-hearted chat with Frank about helmets on cafe tables :D ) but got some good info from some of the exhibitors;good day out with a couple of other guys from the club.

Was ok to get to for us,down the M11 to Epping and underground/DLR to the Excel;had no props with the toilets,only wait was for some food but it was 1:00 so bound to be busy;also the Motorcycle show was on as well so plenty of bods around for that too.
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra