edited January 2016 in MTB general
How do you clean your waterproof gear?

Hose down with the bike?

In the shower?

Any tricks and tips?

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Washing machine, just follow the label, simples.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Washing machine, just follow the label, simples.

I just get the wife to jet wash me in the garden :shock:

What sort of nutter uses a hose or goes into the shower fully dressed :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Usually just a rinse cycle in the machine.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Nikwax!

Thisnormal detergents remove the waterproofing from your waterproofs, if its just normal muck wipe down with a cloth
  • That's not entirely true. They mostly clog the pours of breathable fabric making it not let water vapour out, so actually without would improve the water resistance as water vapour wouldn't go so easily the other way. But it doesn't work like that.
  • Quick rinse, then every so often use nikwax according to instructions. But it doesn't seem to be doing a good job recently. One or two uses of jackets where the water bubbles on the jacket then it just seems to not bubble if that makes sense, doesn't leak but the water creates a damp patch rather than droplets. Would love the stuff they apply from start. Any ideas on this anyone?
  • Or let all the mud dry then brush it off.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I just blast mine with the hose pipe.
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    A rinse with water to remove as much mud as possible is usually enough.

If you're concerned that standard washing detergents are too harsh, hand washing with soap flakes is a good cheap alternative to the Nikwax stuff.
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Quick rinse, then every so often use nikwax according to instructions. But it doesn't seem to be doing a good job recently. One or two uses of jackets where the water bubbles on the jacket then it just seems to not bubble if that makes sense, doesn't leak but the water creates a damp patch rather than droplets. Would love the stuff they apply from start. Any ideas on this anyone?

About once a year I give my stuff a wash in either Nikwax or Grangers cleaner, then use one of their re-proofers - I think Grangers do a 30'C waterproofer - you just chuck it in the washing machine (or a bucket if you can't use a machine) then let it dry. It definitely works better if you either tumble dry on a cool heat or use a cool iron (once dry). As the name suggests, it's different to the cleaner, and works best on a clean jacket.

If you want the water to "bubble" on the jacket, sounds like you need to re-proof it rather than just clean it. It also helps the jacket breathe better because if it isn't beading and instead soaking the outer layer then he air vapour can't get out so you start to get condensation on the inside which makes it feel like water getting through. Go outdoors do a range of stuff including spray on proofers you can use for stuff that shouldn't go in a machine. Worth having a look.
  • Quick rinse, then every so often use nikwax according to instructions. But it doesn't seem to be doing a good job recently. One or two uses of jackets where the water bubbles on the jacket then it just seems to not bubble if that makes sense, doesn't leak but the water creates a damp patch rather than droplets. Would love the stuff they apply from start. Any ideas on this anyone?

About once a year I give my stuff a wash in either Nikwax or Grangers cleaner, then use one of their re-proofers - I think Grangers do a 30'C waterproofer - you just chuck it in the washing machine (or a bucket if you can't use a machine) then let it dry. It definitely works better if you either tumble dry on a cool heat or use a cool iron (once dry). As the name suggests, it's different to the cleaner, and works best on a clean jacket.

If you want the water to "bubble" on the jacket, sounds like you need to re-proof it rather than just clean it. It also helps the jacket breathe better because if it isn't beading and instead soaking the outer layer then he air vapour can't get out so you start to get condensation on the inside which makes it feel like water getting through. Go outdoors do a range of stuff including spray on proofers you can use for stuff that shouldn't go in a machine. Worth having a look.

Thanks, was talking about my soft shell jackets and I have been using the Nikwax softshell proof washin. I was expecting the water to bubble on them like new. But they just seem to hold the water. Will try a cool dry in the tumble dryer next time and see if that helps. And also a prewash. when dirty I just chuck them in with the Nikwax. Probably where I am going wrong.

Always tumble the gore tex jackets but never thought of it for soft shells.

Out of product now and after the recent downpours I am going to re do them again.

Will try a prewash, the post proof wash then cool tumble. The water droplets sitting on the surface looks so much better than the jackets looking wet.
  • I use Boots own brand soap flakes combined with the wool cycle in the washing machine. Works for me. Much cheaper than nikwax and just as good imo. Doesn't seem to remove the Dwr coating too quickly
    On One Codeine

On One Parkwood

My babies :)
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    Erm.. Possibly not helpful but I don't.. I can't remember the last time I washed my cycling jacket... Or shoes!

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie