SRAM double thumb shifters

ab20000
ab20000 Posts: 89
edited December 2015 in MTB general
Fairly rookie question here so apologies. I've always used Shimano gear and really like the thumb / finger shifters. The SRAMs I have (X5 shifters) use a double thumb action and I just can't get on with them. Does anybody know if SRAM do a finger/thumb shifter that I can just swap to?
Thanks, 8)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, either a gripshift or a full swap to Shimano.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • No, either a gripshift or a full swap to Shimano.

Okay thanks - that sucks, guess I'll give it another go but failing that switch to Shimano. :( Take it as an opportunity to upgrade.
  • Assume the cassette and chain are fine as is and just need derailleur and shifter?
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    X5's aren't great. They have fixed positions and for some reason SRAM always set the two levers too far apart for my liking so that you have to almost point the whole shifter down at the ground to make accessing the smaller lever easier. They're high end shifters (X0, for example) allow you to set the position of the big lever relative to the small one but are expensive as hell (have two sets). They're double tap shifters do away with two levers altogether and just use the one, but there is no real advantage to these over double lever designs IMO.
  • kirby700
    kirby700 Posts: 458
    I was the same as you when I went to Sram on my last bike and current.

Now I don't like Shimano, the clicks seem wishy washy to me whereas a solid click from the sram unit feels nicer to me.

The X5's on my nukeproof were a pain to get in right position seen as I am now 1x10 ditched the lh shifter and (after a crash) upgraded r/h to GX

Would swap now
    GIANT XTC 2.5
    BOARDMAN TEAM FS - NOW GONE
    NUKEPROOF MEGA TR 275 COMP
    YT INDUSTRIES CAPRA
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I like the top end SRAM shifters, I have X0 on my DH bike. It's nice and positive but it's so expensive compared to Shimano.
    The lower SRAM groupsets (below X9) feel pretty cheap and nasty.