Basic question about using CO2 inflator valves

topcattim
topcattim Posts: 766
edited December 2015 in Road beginners
I tried to use my Barbieri Mikrobi valve yesterday, and failed twice. I've got a Lezyne valve which I use on my best bike (winter bike yesterday), where you attach the inflator valve to the Presta valve, screw the canister all the way in, release it slightly and watch the magic happen.

The Barbieri has a thread/tap/valve to turn the gas on and off. I tried first:
1) attaching the device to the tube, screwing the canister in, releasing the tap to allow the CO2 to inflate, but it just ran out of the seal at the point where the canister meets the inflator. So, using my trusty spare canister, for the second time I
2) attached the device to the tuble, turned the tap on, screwed the canister in, and again it just escaped without inflating.

In both cases, I'm sure that the valve on the tube was opened, I'd made sure I hadn't unscrewed it all the way, and gave it a cautionary prod to make sure it would travel in and out ok.

So I'm not sure if the problem is me doing things in the wrong order, or perhaps a faulty seal at one end of the Barbieri device.

As it happened, no harm done, as I used my manual pump to inflate, but I'd like to get it right next time!
Can anyone advise what I might have been doing wrong?

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Can't help I'm afraid except to say that is two trees you now need to plant to keep the planet balanced :wink:
  • Screw another cylinder onto the unit.
    If the gas doesn't escape you know the valve is closed.
    Push the unit onto the inner tube. Open the valve.
    If the gas escapes you either have not pushed it on properly, or the Schrader/Presta thing is the wrong way round.
  • :D:D
    Can't help I'm afraid except to say that is two trees you now need to plant to keep the planet balanced :wink:
    :D:D
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Joking aside, are you sure you are putting the right end onto the tube/valve? I haven't used that CO2 one as I just have a Lezyne one, but it does sound like the CO2 is doing what it should, as in coming out but the wrong hole!
  • Screw another cylinder onto the unit.
    If the gas doesn't escape you know the valve is closed.
    Push the unit onto the inner tube. Open the valve.
    If the gas escapes you either have not pushed it on properly, or the Schrader/Presta thing is the wrong way round.
    Thanks, will check again.
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Joking aside, are you sure you are putting the right end onto the tube/valve? I haven't used that CO2 one as I just have a Lezyne one, but it does sound like the CO2 is doing what it should, as in coming out but the wrong hole!
    Yup, fairly sure I've got this right. I've got a Lezyne one as well on the summer bike and that one works just fine.