Development for Single Chainring Conversion kit

Split Cylcing
Split Cylcing Posts: 20
edited December 2015 in Cyclocross
Split cycling is considering to developing a single chainring conversion kit, that will include the following:

- Offset chainring (Avaialable from 32T-53T)- manufactured in Italy and modified in the U.K (Can manufactured in different configurations i.e.quadrants or triangular gears)
-A pre-lubricated/pre-tensioned chain commonly used in the automotive industry
-A chain retention and guard system
-Relevant tools to install the product
-All the lubes/greases required to install

This kit will retail starting from £110, which compared to any offerings by SRAM/Shimano is considerably less.

But what we want to know, is simple.

Is this something you as cyclists will benefit you? And how can we improve this?

I look forward to your feedback

J
Founder: Split Cycling

Comments

• left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks for identifying this to us.

We're not aiming to manufacture a standard crank and chainring, we want to offer a bespoke package by using different cam's for sprockets and offering the relevant services required to ensure that you can benefit from the chainring.

Essentially this product can be installed by anyone and it has to be noted replacing a chainring quicker than replacing a complete crankset.

Good spot though 8)

• Essentially this product can be installed by anyone and it has to be noted replacing a chainring quicker than replacing a complete crankset.
    )

That also is arguable... Hollowtech 2 has 2 bolts, a chainring 4-5, so I am not sure which one is quicker
    left the forum March 2023
  • Again, thanks for identifying this.

This is something that we have considered, but obviously devloping a new crankset would be something we would definitely be interested in, in the future.

Is there any way you could recommend that would separate us from the competitors? I.e. how we can market and develop this system?

Thanks,
    J
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    TBH, I don't really understand what this product is.

The "standard" single ring conversion consists of:
    1. Remove front mech - zero cost
    2. Replace existing chainrings with a single narrow/wide chainring - maybe 40 quid
    3. Tighten spring on rear mech or replace with clutch mech - from 0 to maybe 50 quid

Other than being available with an odd number of teeth (which suggests you're not following the well-proven narrow/wide route) what does your kit do, that the above doesn't?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Thanks for your response,

The origin for the kit is aimed at users who have some or very little technical experience, therefore we provide the suitable tools to complete the task, and the relevant anti-seaze grease etc. And we offer the pre-lubed and pre-stretched chain, which will decrease your maintenance in the long term (optional).

Essentially what makes our service different is that we can manufacture a bespoke chainring to the users needs, i.e. specific radius's for specific power output styles, for example we can design a bespoke chainring for time trial clients by fitting around the users power bandwidth (rotation range at the cassette) and the ability of the user to actually deliver the power (linear or can it be modulated).

You have to understand, we are offering a complete package here that can be specified for each user, and we supply everything to ensure you can complete the transfer easily and cheaply, compared to purchasing a chainring then having it installed with the relevant pheripherals by a technician (just labour alone).

Many thanks,
    J
  • Thanks for your response,

The origin for the kit is aimed at users who have some or very little technical experience, therefore we provide the suitable tools to complete the task, and the relevant anti-seaze grease etc. And we offer the pre-lubed and pre-stretched chain, which will decrease your maintenance in the long term (optional).

Essentially what makes our service different is that we can manufacture a bespoke chainring to the users needs, i.e. specific radius's for specific power output styles, for example we can design a bespoke chainring for time trial clients by fitting around the users power bandwidth (rotation range at the cassette) and the ability of the user to actually deliver the power (linear or can it be modulated).

You have to understand, we are offering a complete package here that can be specified for each user, and we supply everything to ensure you can complete the transfer easily and cheaply, compared to purchasing a chainring then having it installed with the relevant pheripherals by a technician (just labour alone).

Many thanks,
    J

It sounds like a lot of baloney...
    left the forum March 2023
  • We understand that everyone has their opinions, we can go over costs if necessary to prove value.
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Is this a weird troll :?:
    (Can manufactured in different configurations i.e.quadrants or triangular gears)

Triangular chainrings? :o

Are theese the next development of q-rings?
  • We understand that everyone has their opinions, we can go over costs if necessary to prove value.

As soon as a company resorts to this as a form of marketing, your dead in the water.

You want to share your product and ideally your target audience go 'wow take my money'. It's not great when said audience go 'meh' and your reply is essentially 'but look it's really good value...'.

Sounds like a typical 'I'm out' ending from the den....
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Is there any way you could recommend that would separate us from the competitors? I.e. how we can market and develop this system?

No, we wont do your work for you. :roll:

No it wont. It will make f-all difference. Most bike chains are sold already pre-lubed. But not pre-stretched because it is not necessary. Why would i want a pre-streched bicycle chain ? What would it do better ?
    Essentially what makes our service different is that we can manufacture a bespoke chainring to the
    users needs, i.e. specific radius's for specific power output styles, for example we can design a bespoke chainring for time trial clients by fitting around the users power bandwidth (rotation range at the
    cassette) and the ability of the user to actually deliver the power (linear or it be can it be modulated).

Bespoke chainrings? for realz ? Do you think people will fall for that ?

Selling a chainring isn't a service. Unless you have some delusional grandiose idea of what your non
    existant company provides. You can only make chainrings with certain numbers of teeth. i.e ones that already exist. Nothing about your chainrings will be different from the rest. Odd number teeth have been done.

You're aiming this kit at riders who have 'some or little' knowledge. Who don't own a hex key or any grease. But also aiming it squarely towards more advanced riders who need chainrings for their ''specific radius's for specific power output styles''. This is where you might go wrong. :)

Including a blob of grease and a hex key is not a selling point. And doesnt make it a 'complete package'. Neither does helping somebody choose a number between 32 and 53.

It will probably be easier if you just cnc'd a chainring and sold it on ebay. Without the 'bells and
    whistles'.
  • Thanks everyone,

Essentially the whole reason why this has been posted on here is because I wanted to see what the consumer reaction will be, i.e. whether this is a valid product.

You have to understand I'm an engineer by trade I just thought I'd give it a punt and see why not.

Your reactions, to the issue prove that this is not something I should invest in.

Thanks,
    J