Domane BB90 Bearing Replacement

bsharp77
bsharp77 Posts: 533
edited December 2015 in Workshop
Hi guys,

Ive put a few thousand kms on my 2015 Domane 5.2 now and want to give the bottom bracket bearings a refresh over the Christmas break. I want to try and do this myself as I'm keen to do all my own servicing from now on.

After a bit of searching, I've watched a video of someone from Boca Bearings replacing the bearings on a Madone - looks simple enough!

However, after searching for the bearings I've found these:

http://www.totalcycling.com/en/Trek-BB90-Bottom-Bracket-For-Shimano-Cranks/m-21244.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQiAqemzBRDh2vGKmMnqoegBEiQAqJPuyB2HBNq0JHh7n-pdFD0kRRvmIX-Mhy1AnbJ0GJQd-LkaAnNZ8P8HAQ&utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=UnitedKingdom

There seem to be a few extra things like the sleeves that aren't in the Madone video - is the Domane installation a more complicated process, or will I be ok?! There seems to be very little official information on the proper installation process!

Im thinking of ordering the Park Tool removal tool and the wiggle lifeline pressfit installer - i see these as investments as ill be able to use for all future bearing replacements.

Any help or advice much appreciated.

Comments

• Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    I'm sure the're just an interference fit, the one's on my Emonda came out easily with no tools when I was doing some maintenance.

Have a look first before purchasing the tools.
  • These are what you want:
    http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/MR24377-2RS-Enduro.html
    or oversize ones if your bearings are loose in the housing:
    http://www.wychbearings.co.uk/MR24371-2RS-Enduro.html

You can re-use the orange outer seals and inner plastic dust tube.

Mostly the bearings just push in/out by hand. But quality control is a bit variable; some frames can be quite tight and some so sloppy they need the oversize bearings. If yours is tight, you'll need a tool - make or buy. Only work against the outer race of new bearings and do not, under any circumstances, hit anything with a hammer!

I keep meaning to write a piece, more a rant really, on BB90 and how it doesn't cope with British weather. Water gets trapped up against the bearing and, seal or no seal, it eventually seeps in and the bearings rust. I reckon you'll need to change them about as frequently as the chain.
  • bsharp77
    bsharp77 Posts: 533
    Thanks a lot for all the information. I'll get the bearings ordered up and have a look to see how tight the current ones are before ordering any tools. Even someone of my mechanical uselessness should be able to manage this job!!

Thanks again for the help.
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    Be aware you could run into frame warranty issues in the future if you don't use the official Trek bearings.

I changed the BB90 bearing in my 4 series Domane a few months back. Getting the old bearings out did require the extractor tool - I used the Unior tool, which I would not recommend as I don't think it's that well designed or made, for the money.
  • andyeb wrote:
    Be aware you could run into frame warranty issues in the future if you don't use the official Trek bearings.
    The Enduro bearings from Wych Bearings are identical in every respect to the Trek original fitment (aside from being new and shiny rather than rusty and knackered). No one will never know, unless you tell them.

On a more general point, we know that manufacturers will try to weasel out of their obligations on the flimsiest of pretexts. But BB bearings are consumables, just like chain and tyres. Trek would need to show that you installed replacements incorrectly, occasioning consequential damage, to refuse a warranty claim.

Never having had to make a warranty claim, I can't relate any personal experience, but Trek do get good reviews for customer care.