New Year Dilemma

MrT
MrT Posts: 260
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi.....been on here for a few years...ride an Airborne Zeppelin....which is becoming the winter bike....now fancy a plastic bike for the summer.....but suffering from info overload. I need some wise old heads for advice.
So mamil... 52.....92kg and 1.91 tall....ride with other mamils for 3-4 hours at between 19s and 20s av. All pretty fit and competitive. Enjoy riding the mountains in Summer..though not ideally suited. Still like a bit of speed as well as comfort but not planning on racing..been there seen it done it.
A few have Ribble Gran Fondos...but they're all a good 6 inches shorter and 10 kg lighter. Others have BMC..Trek etc but I've never heard so many squeaky BBs in my life. LBS would happily sell me a Merida 6000 Scultura!
Any suggestions..budget 2-3k.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    New year's resolution - use fewer full stops!
  • New Year's resolution- stop lying about average speeds
    Orbea Orca OMX DI2 MyO
    Kinesis 4s Di2
  • MrT
    New Year's resolution: not to waste time posting what you might think is a reasonable q and perhaps focus on asking real people. Oh and during the summer in the flatlands and a bunch of 10-15 it's not that impossible to av 19 +. But don't worry now it's winter and fewer of us ride and it's a lot windier and winter bikes we're down to 16s and 17s. If you want we'll slow down a bit more. Ho ho ho
  • Did you check the online retailers: Canyon and Rose?

Verry solid proposals for your budget! Only caveat is that you cannot ride/try the bike before buying it, but amazing value for the money and excellent reviews from owners.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Canyon cf slx or Aeroad if your up for a slightly more agressive position?

nothing else gives a pro tour frame and great wheels for that money, the XL or larger bikes can be had by march/or early April.
    you can ride the bike for a short spin in the dry and still send it back within 30 days, i ve done this and there is no problem.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    The only really important issues are do you like the look of it, does it fit and is the gearing right for you. No one can really help with those questions. Hope you find something nice
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    If I was buying a new bike it would be the C 60 Disc
    you could try this
    http://www.focus-bikes.com/gb/en/bikes/2016/road/performance-cayo-1/cayo-disc-ultegra.html
    or any number of other bikes .
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Canyon cf slx or Aeroad if your up for a slightly more agressive position?

nothing else gives a pro tour frame and great wheels for that money, the XL or larger bikes can be had by march/or early April.
    you can ride the bike for a short spin in the dry and still send it back within 30 days, i ve done this and there is no problem.
    Delivery when?
    This is the issue with our Germanic cousins and the faff with the proprietary finishing kit when you need to fine tune a bike for you and you alone.
    Hence, I would always look for a frameset deal and build up to your own spec and requirements.
    Ok, still off the peg in a way but has a bit of your own soul in it when finished.
  • MrT
    Thanks for all the useful advice. Mate has just ordered a C 60 with Record kit; out of my league. But another has just taken delivery of a Ribble Gran Fondo, very nice and good value.
  • Evans Cycles have some good deals on Cannondales at the moment..... if you have a thing for creaky bottom brackets :o:o