La Marmotte des Pyrenées

La Marmotte des Pyrenées
New sportive on 28th August 2016.
It's been talked about for years, now it is going to happen. Run annually on the last Sunday of August. 2016 is restricted to 2500 riders. More details will be available in January.

160km with 5300m climbing.
Start Argeles-Gazost.
Col du Tourmalet.
Col d'Aspin
La Hourquette d’Ancizan
Col du Tourmalet.
Finish on Luz Ardiden.

https://www.strava.com/routes/3813094

marmotte-pyrenees.jpg
Vélo Peloton Pyrénées Café and Bike Rental
https://pyreneesrental.bike
https://velopeloton.com/

Comments

• DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    I don't know the area but both sides of the Tourmalet looks interesting. Wonder if the 2.5k limit is a temporary limit while they test the water?
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • That limit is for 2016. They plan to allow more in future years.
  • As routes go, it's quite possibly the worst I can think of.

Basically a small loop, then retrace most of the route, but yet finishing in a different place from the start... completely pointless.
    I remember the road out of Argeles Gazost and towards Luz St. Saveur as very busy, are they going to close it?
    left the forum March 2023
  • Hi anyone know when we can expect the entry to open for this sportive.
    Their web site just says more information soon.
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,470
    terrible route. it's almost an out and back and unnecessary difficult
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • gsk82 wrote:

Totally agree, designed by someone who doesn't understand cycling
  • gsk82 wrote:

Totally agree, designed by someone who doesn't understand cycling

Must have been designed by a brit! It's certainly unnecessarily tough and not having the start and finish in the same area makes it logistically hard also.

Can't see the point really. There are better rides in the pyrenees than this, it seems like a money making event rather than a cycling challenge.
  • DeVlaeminck
    Is it any tougher than the original Marmotte ?
  • Is it any tougher than the original Marmotte ?

The point is that the Marmotte is a loop + 12 Km... this isn't a loop, it retraces its steps, goes up the Tourmalet twice. It just seems an unnecessary course for the sake of piling up HC climbs.
    They could have done something from Laruns where you do a loop and finish with Tourmalet and Aubisque and descend back into Laruns, for instance
  • Took me 5 minutes to map a route that would be a lot better

https://www.strava.com/routes/4157157
  • DeVlaeminck
    Yes agree an out and back with a different start and finish looks odd and adds unnecessary logistical problems for the riders.
    I wonder if maybe the out and back makes it easier from an organisational point of view ? I don't mind it being tough though - I think most people riding the Marmotte have travelled a fair distance so want a challenge.
  • I wonder if maybe the out and back makes it easier from an organisational point of view ? I don't mind it being tough though - I think most people riding the Marmotte have travelled a fair distance so want a challenge.

It does... fewer roads to be closed to traffic/marshalled. It's a shame they have missed a trick... the ascent of Sulour/Aubisque is probably the most stunning in the Pyrenees and one of the most stunning roads in the world.
  • The finish is 32km from the start. Less than perfect, but it is downhill. I think Hautacam would have been a better option but it would mean the road through Gorge de Luz being closed all day. As it is the only road apart from Col du Tourmalet into that valley it's not possible, the police objected. In general there are not as many roads in the Pyrenees as there are in the Alps and they tend to be narrower and less suitable for a large event like this.

It's being supported by Hautes Pyrenees local government, hence the route is completely within it's borders and it visits the 3 main valleys in the department.
  • The finish is 32km from the start. Less than perfect, but it is downhill. I think Hautacam would have been a better option but it would mean the road through Gorge de Luz being closed all day. As it is the only road apart from Col du Tourmalet into that valley it's not possible, the police objected. In general there are not as many roads in the Pyrenees as there are in the Alps and they tend to be narrower and less suitable for a large event like this.

It's being supported by Hautes Pyrenees local government, hence the route is completely within it's borders and it visits the 3 main valleys in the department.

It's not the TdF, you don't need a mountain finish to make an exciting event. Personally I think 2-3 HC climbs with start and finish in a town (Laruns/Lourdes/Argeles Gazost/ Luchon) would make a great event without logistical issues.
  • Well at the risk of introducing unwarranted positivity into the thread, I rather fancy the Marmotte Pyrenees. The route is what it is, and whilst it might not be the most scenic or imaginative in the area, if you can't get inspired by the thought of riding it then you're probably a bit of a cynic / glass half empty type. Who can't get inspired by a "Double Tourmalet", the Ancizan and Luz Ardiden? (Clearly some posters here!)

I would guess that there are severe logistical constraints given the limited number of roads in the area, and the "out and back" nature of the course does limit the length of roads required.

Re it being "un-necessarily tough", isn't that the point of a Marmotte? (If you want an "easy" ride on your CV, then do the Etape du Tour...) There's no point trekking to the Pyrenees to do an easy ride - you want something that leaves the average, well trained "warrior" almost on their knees at the top of the penultimate climb, a long descent to contemplate impending doom and then a HC climb to finish you off properly!

Re the gap between the start and finish, this isn't much different to the gap between Alpe D'Huez and Rochetaille / Allemond on the Alps Marmotte and plenty of folk return from the former to the latter on two wheels without any bother as much of it is downhill.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    i love the Tourmalet but two ascents in one a day event just seems a bit of a waste
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin wrote:
    i love the Tourmalet but two ascents in one a day event just seems a bit of a waste

Different sides, so just as much different climbs as, for example, the Madeleine and the Glandon which both start from La Chambre, surely?
  • kingstongraham
    kingstongraham Posts: 26,261
    Two chances to admire La Mongie.
  • DeVlaeminck
    The Marmotte did both sides of the Croix de Fer last year (OK so it did the Glandon and the CdF but almost the same thing) and that was OK - in fact I think I preferred that to the classic route as it had less main road and I like the fact it was tougher.

I suppose the organisers will be looking to get permission in the longer term for at least 5k riders and as over here the local police and relevant authorities are going to have a big say in what route they can use.

Whatever I think I could be up for this next year - I don't mind the toughness of the route in fact to a point the tougher the better - if there are better possible routes then it's a pity they can't be used but I do like big events with lots of riders and this looks like the biggest in that part of France. Something to aim for and a reason to travel down there - if there are better roads to ride I can do them during the time I'm there.
  • Two chances to admire La Mongie.

At least one chance passes in an instant!

I don't recall the less than scenic nature of the Valley of Death in the Alps Marmotte detracting from the event too much, though usually one can only see the large backside of the Big Cogger you're wheelsucking at the time!
  • yorkshireraw
    yorkshireraw Posts: 1,628
    If anyone wants to do a big event in the Pyrenees - have a look at the Quebrantahuesos. It's Spain's biggest 'Marcha' (technically not a Gran Fondo, but in all essence the same thing with G/S/B times etc) with c. 10,000 riders.

It heads from Spain into France via the Somport, drops down to tackle the Marie Blanque, and then back to Spain via the 29KM climb up the Portalet, finishing with a kick up the Hoz de Jaca and then a run back to the start / finish town of Sabinanigo.

It doesn't hit the heights of the Marmotte Alps or Tourmalet (Portalet is about 1900m) but its a brilliantly organised event and the MB is an absolute b1-atch!