Single Chainring Conversion Kit

Split Cylcing
Split Cylcing Posts: 20
edited December 2015 in Workshop
Split cycling is considering to developing a single chainring conversion kit, that will include the following:

- Offset chainring (Avaialable from 32T-53T)- manufactured in Italy and modified in the U.K (Can manufactured in different configurations i.e.quadrants or triangular gears)
-A pre-lubricated/pre-tensioned chain commonly used in the automotive industry
-A chain retention and guard system
-Relevant tools to install the product
-All the lubes/greases required to install

This kit will retail starting from £110, which compared to any offerings by SRAM/Shimano is considerably less.

But what we want to know, is simple.

Is this something you as cyclists will benefit you? And how can we improve this?

I look forward to your feedback

J
Founder: Split Cycling

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Pretty much the only thing that might be useful is a chainring with offset to achieve an acceptable chainline.
    Personally i would not spend 1 cent on the other mentioned items.
  • Thanks for your response.

We hope to design and manufacture directly with consumer influence.

Is there anything else, innovations wise you would be interested in?

Thanks,
    J
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Not for me thank you - I can modify standard bits to make a single speeder at a cost of several washers, some old cassette spacers and 30 minutes playing with chain length/different sprockets from a dismantled standard cassette.

Offered to the correct market I think you may be on a winner though - bon chance.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Thanks for your reply,

We understand that it's not going to appeal to the most astute cyclist. We hope to offer a service for users who have no previous engineering knowledge, making beneficial components accessible for all users.

I beleive that this product marketed correctly will succeed.

We hope we can work with potential users like you to manufacture a product that consumers want not what we can just sell!

Many thanks though :D:D

J
  • Just to note:

The package offer isn't something we're just offering, individual set i.e chainrings and spacers just for a basic install will also be available.

Just a general question, if you were going to send this product to market, what type of promotion would you want to see? And where would you promote it?

Many thanks,

J
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited December 2015
    Split cycling is considering to developing a single chainring

Considering ? Do you have a prototype, have you machined '1' single chainring or is this in fantasy dream stage ?

As you've said in the other thread you created ''I've noticed that single chainrings aren't quite hitting the market as well as they should?''

What makes you think this kit is going to sell ? Why should they be selling well ? Whats so great about them ? What is going to make people ditch their front derailleurs for this ?
    A pre-lubricated/pre-tensioned chain commonly used in the automotive industry

Is this something you're going to develop and manufacture ? If so, why ? What's wrong with the current
    chains on the market ? or are you going to re-sell a chain that can be bought cheaper elsewhere ?
    A chain retention and guard system

Why bother if the latest trend is to use wide toothed chainrings and clutched rear derailleurs ?

If your chainrings are not wide toothed. What is to differentiate your chainrings from the competition ?

Also a chain retention and guard system would result in more added weight than a front derailleur and inner chainring. Which would be a drawback and not a benefit to moving to a single ring.

Also have you taken into consideration that if switching to a single chainring up front. They may also need to buy a larger range cassette, a longer cage rear derailleur, and a longer chain ?

If this does go anywhere, for promotion you should send them off to cycling review websites and blogs (independent and corporate) and/or start a kickstarter project.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Just to note:

The package offer isn't something we're just offering, individual set i.e chainrings and spacers just for a basic install will also be available.

Just a general question, if you were going to send this product to market, what type of promotion would you want to see? And where would you promote it?

Many thanks,

J

First rule of marketing is that without a good product, no amount of marketing spend will fix it. And your product sounds like a solution to a problem that nobody has.
  • Thanks everyone,

Essentially the whole reason why this has been posted on here is because I wanted to see what the consumer reaction will be, i.e. whether this is a valid product.

You have to understand I'm an engineer by trade I just thought I'd give it a punt and see why not.

Your reactions, to the issue prove that this is not something I should invest in.

Thanks,
    J