Shimano R540-SL woes.....

Raker
Raker Posts: 11
edited December 2015 in Road beginners
Evening all! :)

My wife bought a pair of these a few months back to pair up with a pair of Specialized road shoes and did the usual turbo trainer/leaning against a wall etc to get used to the clip action. Even on the slackest setting they were stiff, but she persevered.

Cut a long story short the clip out is incredibly tough on the left side - right side is fine - stiff, but comes out fine. Pedals installed correctly and bike fitted by a pro - cleats all adjusted too as part of the fit. She's even sat clipping in and unclipping on her turbo trainer after a session.

2 nasty spills later [one of which was into the road] and these have now left her with a very bitter taste in her mouth indeed. She wants clipless as she has felt the benefit, but this experience has put her right off.

Any suggestions? Anyone experienced anything similar?

Boo, sucks. :(

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    If your wife can't get on with the road SPD-SLs, she should maybe try the MTB equivalent. I use MTB PD540s and MTB shoes on all my road bikes. As the pedals are double-sided it's much easier to clip-in and she should have no problem unclipping. I always unclip well before stopping as it's easy to pedal with only one foot clipped-in and the other foot pressing down on the pedal without being actually clipped-in, as your foot won't slip off like it would with the road shoes. I always unclip with the same foot (my right) and only unclip my left foot when I actually get off the bike at say a café stop or at the end of a ride. So you unclip automatically without thinking what foot to unclip with and getting in a pickle.

I know it's extra expense but if it makes her feel more confident it would be worth it, and she could always sell the SPD-SLs.
  • Raker
    Raker Posts: 11
    Ah right - good idea. I've got some MTB SPDs that I could bolt on. What shoes are you using currently?

Like the right foot idea too. Just get the habit going I guess? I'll mention these points to her. :)
  • ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Ah right - good idea. I've got some MTB SPDs that I could bolt on. What shoes are you using currently?

Like the right foot idea too. Just get the habit going I guess? I'll mention these points to her. :)
    I've got Specialized BG MTB SPD shoes, and older Specialized Leisure/Touring type SPD shoes which I've been using for over 5 years. These have a slightly less stiff sole - ridged rubber like a trainer sole, but stiffer than a trainer sole. They are best for riding with one foot unclipped. With these shoes, even on steep inclines if I think it may be difficult to unclip if I want to stop, I can pedal up with one foot unclipped and the other pressing on the pedal. Unconventional I know, but it works for me, and may help your wife if she is nervous about not being able to unclip in time.