HT2 BB - needs time to warm up??

munkster
munkster Posts: 819
edited December 2015 in Workshop
So I was out on the bike first thing yesterday and BB was creaking and clunking like mad at the same point on each pedal stroke, not even when under heavy loading. But then 30-45 mins into the ride I realised the noise had melted away to nothing. All was joyously smooth and quiet. Is it A Thing for these to need time to "warm up"?? Surely not, but can't think of any other explanation - it was making an unpleasant sound and no mistake.

Bike is a carbon Ribble, BB is a new-style (smaller cups) Ultegra BB and it's probably done no more than 200 miles given I replaced a clunking old one (that had done 2000 miles-ish in crappy conditions - this is the winter bike) not long ago.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,555
    might be something loose that gradually got tightened as you rode

given that you only just installed it, i'd be tempted to remove/refit incase something was not quite right
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • munkster
    munkster Posts: 819
    Yeah, fair suggestion. Although it was making a little bit of a noise on a couple of previous rides (but not as loud) and it did something similar, ie. calmed down in time. So, unless the thing that has been tightened up has loosened itself in the interim I don't think it can be that.

You're right though, remove and refit is a sensible plan to at least eliminate that, despite having fitted many BBs in the past (and therefore experienced the stupid n00b mistakes first hand!). Cheers :-)