Aero frame recommendations

Matthewfalle
Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Evening all

Some recommendations please: aero frame, either carbon or lightweight ali, to be used to triathlons, duathlons and training, £600 and below. I have all the bits to bolt on, so just frame and fork recommendations please.

Alternatively, whole bikes from C2W places as I can just strip the bits I don't want off and sell them on.

Ribble too ugly.
Canyon and Rose too expensive
Planet X not in stock
Dolan don't have
Chain reaction don't have anything

Any ideas?

Many thanks

M
Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    For a proper aero road bike your budget is not enough. £600 is the cost of a budget branded carbon frame. Nothing wrong with that but it not going to be the last word in the aero game.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Matthewfalle
    For a proper aero road bike your budget is not enough. £600 is the cost of a budget branded carbon frame. Nothing wrong with that but it not going to be the last word in the aero game.

I'm only after the frame for that money - any ideas?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dwanes
    dwanes Posts: 954
    For a proper aero road frame your budget is not enough. £600 is the cost of a budget branded carbon frame. Nothing wrong with that but it not going to be the last word in the aero game.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032

I'm only after the frame for that money - any ideas?

As you know, a Canyon or Giant frame will be 1500 to 2k, so if your serious, its a chinese import for 600 ish or if your lucky 2nd hand.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Frame aerodynamics are of limited importance at the best of times. More important to make yourself aerodynamic - for which you'll need some kind of well-fitting time trial/tri frame.

Planet X have the Exocet frameset in a range of sizes at the moment for £500:
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRPXEX2/planet-x-exocet-2-carbon-tt-frameset

I doubt you'll do much better for less than £600. I don't know why you've said they don't have anything in stock as they seem to have plenty....
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think the OP is after an aero Road frame as opposed to a tt frame.

Id not get hung up on aero for a road bike. It's mainly marketing.

Just look for a pretty frame instead.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    If you want to know how much faster an aero frame is and how it feels, try tucking your elbows in 5mm and pumping your tyres up 15psi more to ruin the ride a bit.

£600 is not enough to get a frame with any significant advantage over a regular frame, some would say the same for much more budget than that. If you're set on it though, definitely go second hand. You could get a fantastic condition Cervelo S2 with some change for example, and at least you could sell a good purchase s/h frame on for what you bought it for.
  • Matthewfalle
    I think the OP is after an aero Road frame as opposed to a tt frame.

Id not get hung up on aero for a road bike. It's mainly marketing.

Just look for a pretty frame instead.

Exactly - thank you very much.

I must admit that you and mfin are thinking along exactly the same lines as I am - just stick some aero bars on my current road bike, swap out my 60s for some 80s I have hanging on the wall and tuck in a bit more.

Thank you again for your help.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.