How much oil on the chain?

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited December 2015 in Workshop
So I spent a little while getting my drivetrain sparkling clean earlier today. The bike is stored in my warm garage overnight to ensure all the water dries up so I can lube the chain tomorrow.

I'm not exactly sure how much oil to use. I've watched loads of videos on YouTube and some drench the chain in oil and then give it a quick wipe whilst others barely put any noticeable oil on the chain. In fact in video the bike mechanic grabbed hold of the chain with his hand to show that it left no marks on his hand.

Comments

• grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    One drop on each roller. Spin the pedals a few times. Leave a little then wipe off excess especially on the side of the plates where it can pick up grime.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Yea, you want the oil inside the chain really, to lubricate the moving parts against each other. Try to get it on each roller and ideally between the plates where they overlap so it can work its way into all the joints. No point just putting it on the roller in the middle of each link and then wiping off.

Try to work it in by back pedalling once you have lubed to flex the chain in both directions and get the moving parts slipping against each other working the oil in. Leave it to penetrate for a minute or two and then run the chain through a handful of clean rag to remove any excess and to just leave the outer surfaces barely damp with oil.

Obviously as you have mentioned, this should be done on a dry chain after cleaning, but you might be better off using a penetrating oil such as WD-40 to drive any water out immediately after cleaning, before applying your lubricating oil. If you just leave it to dry naturally the water inside may start to cause corrosion before it evaporates completely overnight.

I do like a clean chain! :lol:

PP
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    The best chain lubricants are not oils. Oil picks up too much grime. There are lubes that clean the chain as you lube it and dont attract any dirt. I could name one but that might be seen as advertising. Parafin wax is another if you can be bothered to apply it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    One drop on each roller. Spin the pedals a few times. Leave a little then wipe off excess especially on the side of the plates where it can pick up grime.

This is what i do as well. If the chain is really mucky it will need properly cleaning first. I give it a few minutes for the oil to soak in, spin the pedals and then quickly wipe of excess oil.
  • I could name one but that might be seen as advertising.

People name and recommend specific products on here all the time - I for one would like to hear your recommendation as I respect your opinions (you tipped me off to R&R Super Web grease for bearings among many other snippets of wisdom I've gleaned from your posts!).
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    I've used Weldtite TF2 spray-on lube for years, which seems to do the job it's meant to do.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/weldtite/tf2-teflon-lube-400ml-spray-ec006165

Rotate the pedals backwards, steady spray on the chain until it looks like it's nicely covered & soaked in, then wipe away any surplus.

(prob cheaper elsewhere, I stock up on it at my LBS when they have deals going)
  • 5ml
  • rumbataz
    Obviously as you have mentioned, this should be done on a dry chain after cleaning, but you might be better off using a penetrating oil such as WD-40 to drive any water out immediately after cleaning, before applying your lubricating oil. If you just leave it to dry naturally the water inside may start to cause corrosion before it evaporates completely overnight.

A question on this point. I oiled the chain on my old bike after cleaning it and then drying off as much of the water as possible using a rag. I then left it overnight in a warm garage before oiling the chain the next day.

I have seen videos of WD40 or GT85 being used after washing the chain clean to dispel water. I'm curious as to the effect a layer of WD40 will have as I apply the chain oil. Would the GT85 effectively reduce the effectiveness of the new chain oil?

I'm doing the 'proper' bike today so just want to get this point cleared up. Would leaving a newly-washed drivetrain overnight cause rust issues before oiling it the next day? My thinking is that I want the new chain oil to make contact directly with the drivetrain metal.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    I'm doing the 'proper' bike today so just want to get this point cleared up. Would leaving a newly-washed drivetrain overnight cause rust issues before oiling it the next day? My thinking is that I want the new chain oil to make contact directly with the drivetrain metal.

I've left bikes in a cold garage for a couple of days before I lubed them. In fact most times I'll leave them overnight. They go in the garage fairly wet and I doubt they dry up that quickly. No sign ever of rust or any other problem.

I tend to spray GT85 more on the mechs than the chain itself after washing.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    If you have a quick link take the chain off and put it in the oven for 20 minutes
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • rumbataz

I've left bikes in a cold garage for a couple of days before I lubed them. In fact most times I'll leave them overnight. They go in the garage fairly wet and I doubt they dry up that quickly. No sign ever of rust or any other problem.

I tend to spray GT85 more on the mechs than the chain itself after washing.

Okay that's good to know. I intend to oil the chain tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder about lubing the mechs - totally forgot about those. Is GT85 okay for those or would they benefit from chain oil or grease? Again, I'll do them tomorrow after I oil the chain.
  • bob6397
    bob6397 Posts: 218
    I use GT85 on all the bearings/freehub/jockey wheels on my bike - but not on my chain. I use chain oil for that..

bob6397
    Boardman HT Team - Hardtail
    Rose Pro-SL 2000 - Roadie
  • rumbataz
    Got another question: my chain oil is Morgan Blue Syn Coarse. It seems to be a good chain oil going by reviews on various sites. It comes in a bottle with a nozzle. It's this one here:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/morgan-blue-syn-lube-125ml-bottle/

This is great for the chain but the nozzle is a little large for oiling things like the pivot points on the front and rear mechs, for example.

What I'm looking for is a syringe-type dispenser bottle that will allow me to reach awkward areas of the bike and dispense very small amounts of oil. I just need an empty dispenser as I can transfer some of my chain oil into it.

Does anyone know of such a dispenser that I can buy? The syringe needle part needs to be fairly long, say at least a couple of inches or more.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    Got another question: my chain oil is Morgan Blue Syn Coarse. It seems to be a good chain oil going by reviews on various sites. It comes in a bottle with a nozzle. It's this one here:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/morgan-blue-syn-lube-125ml-bottle/

This is great for the chain but the nozzle is a little large for oiling things like the pivot points on the front and rear mechs, for example.

What I'm looking for is a syringe-type dispenser bottle that will allow me to reach awkward areas of the bike and dispense very small amounts of oil. I just need an empty dispenser as I can transfer some of my chain oil into it.

Does anyone know of such a dispenser that I can buy? The syringe needle part needs to be fairly long, say at least a couple of inches or more.

If you have hydraulic disc brakes then and old Shimano mineral oil bottle sounds like it would do the trick. I've just cleaned one out and have it sitting on the garage shelf thinking 'I know that will come in useful for something'

See here http://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-hydraulic-mineral-oil-50ml-for-disc-brake-26043

Perhaps see if your LBS has any emties, although they probably use the large containers...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028

A question on this point. I oiled the chain on my old bike after cleaning it and then drying off as much of the water as possible using a rag. I then left it overnight in a warm garage before oiling the chain the next day.

I have seen videos of WD40 or GT85 being used after washing the chain clean to dispel water. I'm curious as to the effect a layer of WD40 will have as I apply the chain oil. Would the GT85 effectively reduce the effectiveness of the new chain oil?

Don't over-think it. None of these oils has magical qualities. At the end of the day, it's just lube. So lube it and carry on with your life...
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Don't over-think it. None of these oils has magical qualities. At the end of the day, it's just lube. So lube it and carry on with your life...

Wot e sed. ^^^^^
    Some people do try to over-complicate bike riding & bike maintenance.