Workshop rags

rumbataz
rumbataz Posts: 796
edited December 2015 in Workshop
This may sound like a strange question, but what do people use as rags for bicycle maintenance? I have lots of car-oriented cleaning and polishing cloths at home but these are not really designed for dirty chains, for example. I don't have unwanted sheets or clothes that I can cut up as I give those away to charities.

Currently I use kitchen towels but these are not very strong and shred easily when cleaning the drivetrain. I don't really want to use my expensive microfibre cloths which I bought for car cleaning.

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Get yourself to the local charity shop and buy loads of towels or anything that you make think will do the job(or pound world or similar). Or steal them.

TDV's clothes also rock as rags.

I use anything - towels, t-shorts, etc really.

If you want, you can buy huge bags of rags from somewhere like Demon Tweeks or local motor factor.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    old cotton (worn out sheets, shirts etc. as long as they're not too thin/low tpi) is good, it's absorbent and tends not to snag or leave fluff, you can draw a chain through it to remove grease/dirt

if you'd pay for 'new' rags, might be better to give the money to charity and use an old sheet for rags, you'd get a few years' worth out of one, after five years i'm just about finished with the rags from a ripped shirt
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Keep your sheets. Give to the charity the amount of money they could sell them for.
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Plenty Dura cloth from the supermarket are really strong and work well.
  • Matthewfalle
    Basic blue jiffy multi purpose type clothes from most supermarkets and pound shops. Strong and cheap so doesn't hurt when you buy them. Baby wipes are also good for a quick wipe down if not to dirty. Old sheets and wife's old sisters come in handy as well.

Sorry? You get your wife's old sisters then use them as rags? Blimey, that's a bit Silence of the Lambs isn't it? Doesn't the blood residue and hair clog your mechs up though?

Don't want to cross you on a dark night Mr Oxoman, Sir, M'Lud, Sir.....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Old sheets and wife's old sisters come in handy as well.
    :lol:
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    There is an engineering supplies shop near me that sells a 10Kg bundle of rags for £9 just like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10kg-General-Purpose-Graded-Bag-of-Rags-Cleaning-Wiping-Wipes-/252004775571?hash=item3aaca7b693:g:Kw4AAOSwT6pViXE5. The bundle comprises a mix of stuff like half a T shirt or sections of sheets and, according to the label anyway, it's all boiled in an industrial laundry and thus completely sanitised. Brilliant as you just chuck it away after use and a 10Kg bundle will go a seriously long way even if you are very profligate with the stuff. Suggest you track down a similar store near you.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I just use my old clothes & towels etc

Also use old tooth brushes the old kitchen sink brush & sponge for cleaning bike
  • mattsccm
    mattsccm Posts: 409
    Amazed. We seem to generate more rags than we use. There are 2 of us in the house and rarely throw anything away.
    Clothes rarely go to charity shops as we don't ditch them until they are not fit to wear.
    I seem to spend my life working on bikes. Having 6 currently rideable and as many projects means that I get through rags but even so I never run out. Start with it clean and use for polishing, then a bit of WD for wiping things over, finally cover it in black and muddy grease after replacing a BB.
  • I just use my old clothes & towels etc

Also use old tooth brushes the old kitchen sink brush & sponge for cleaning bike

This.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904

+1
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Old shoelaces are good for flossing cogs and chainrings.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382

+1

Be careful with those kitchen sponges with a scrubbing bit on one side. Some are very abrasive . One of my kids cleaned the dead flies of our car windscreen with one.There were so many scratched bits I had to have a new screen fitted.
  • rumbataz
    rumbataz Posts: 796
    Just a quick update on what I've bought as an interim measure, I purchased a couple of rolls of Spontex Handy all purpose cloths from my local Sainsbury's. There's 40 sheets on a roll which is the same width as kitchen towel rolls. Each sheet is a decent size and made of cloth and appears to be lint-free.

In terms of brushes and sponges, I have a lot of them in my garage as I'm very much into car detailing - even down to brushes designed to get the dust off car air vents! Going off-topic for a second, I actually use my Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 sealant/quick detailer on a newly-cleaned bike frame to give it some good protection for a few weeks at a time.
  • Matthewfalle
    Just a quick update on what I've bought as an interim measure, I purchased a couple of rolls of Spontex Handy all purpose cloths from my local Sainsbury's. There's 40 sheets on a roll which is the same width as kitchen towel rolls. Each sheet is a decent size and made of cloth and appears to be lint-free.

In terms of brushes and sponges, I have a lot of them in my garage as I'm very much into car detailing - even down to brushes designed to get the dust off car air vents! Going off-topic for a second, I actually use my Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 sealant/quick detailer on a newly-cleaned bike frame to give it some good protection for a few weeks at a time.

Cool - all sounds good. Thank you for the update - always nice to read how people do things.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Use T-shirts that no longer fit or have faded beyond use. Always made of cotton, a plentiful supply as the years roll by...

:)
  • Matthewfalle
    Use T-shirts that no longer fit or have faded beyond use. Always made of cotton, a plentiful supply as the years roll by...

:)

But never, ever, ever, ever, EVER use old band t-shirts. Ever. You will regret it.

I still have to wipe away an occasional tear when thinking of my lost Stone Roses t-shirt.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.