32+ tyres on racer?

ecceman
ecceman Posts: 4
edited January 2016 in Commuting general
Hi,

My bike got stolen last week, so it's time for a new one. I use it to get to work, no professional racing, but I like a really lightweight bike that is on the lower end of the professional scale. That kind of bike is just inspirational to me. It's tarmac all the way, but I want to be able to do a bit of light gravel-kind of road without braking myself or the bike.

The choice is between CX and a racer. CX seems like the way to go, but I've got a really good deal on a all-carbon racer, and the comparable CX is way more expensive. My question is: How much cross can you make it by modifying it, with a reasonable amount of work and money? Fatter tyres are the main thing people seem to recommend for the daily non-racing use. Is the width limiting in the brakes or the frame itself? Front or rear? I image the fork can be swapped if needed.

Any input is helpful! :)

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Brakes are a fiddle to squeeze past wider tyres (unless you deflate them first), also the top of the forks and the front of the stays (Chainstay usually) can limit you on width.

As an example my Commuter came with 28C tyres originally, a friend has an identical bike, on 32's he literally has 2mm clearance either side to the chainstays, I'm sure there would be some 32's that would foul and any buckling of the rim and it will touch.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Hi,

My bike got stolen last week, so it's time for a new one. I use it to get to work, no professional racing, but I like a really lightweight bike that is on the lower end of the professional scale. That kind of bike is just inspirational to me. It's tarmac all the way, but I want to be able to do a bit of light gravel-kind of road without braking myself or the bike.

The choice is between CX and a racer. CX seems like the way to go, but I've got a really good deal on a all-carbon racer, and the comparable CX is way more expensive. My question is: How much cross can you make it by modifying it, with a reasonable amount of work and money? Fatter tyres are the main thing people seem to recommend for the daily non-racing use. Is the width limiting in the brakes or the frame itself? Front or rear? I image the fork can be swapped if needed.

Ask the shop with the racer what width tyres it can take? (or search online). Most rim braked road bikes will be limited to 25mm or sometimes 28mm if you're lucky..the newer disc braked ones will go wider.

What bikes are you looking at?
  • Hi,

Ask the shop with the racer what width tyres it can take? (or search online). Most rim braked road bikes will be limited to 25mm or sometimes 28mm if you're lucky..the newer disc braked ones will go wider.

A Felt Z7. Just bought it. Wiggle sells them at 45% discount. My size was in stock, it also has a slightly more upright position that I want.

I emailed Felt several days ago and they have not replied. i found a blog where someone posted photos of a Z4 with 25 tyres, and MAYBE 28 will fit but it's really on the limit (fork). If I can fit wider tyres I will do it, otherwise... how bad can it be? The bikes I've owned are crap mountain bikes, not exactly the perfect commuter bike either.
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Hi,

A Felt Z7. Just bought it. Wiggle sells them at 45% discount. My size was in stock, it also has a slightly more upright position that I want.

I emailed Felt several days ago and they have not replied. i found a blog where someone posted photos of a Z4 with 25 tyres, and MAYBE 28 will fit but it's really on the limit (fork). If I can fit wider tyres I will do it, otherwise... how bad can it be? The bikes I've owned are crap mountain bikes, not exactly the perfect commuter bike either.

I finally found an email address for Felt that was monitored and got some really good feedback (my CX is Felt F1x - which I just love) - I spoke to these guys who are the (a?) felt importer to the UK. Real enthusiasts, knowledgaeble and friendly

http://www.saddleback.co.uk/FX_Series_Cyclocross I
    nfo <Info@saddleback.co.uk>
  • Still no reply from them... but I've got the bike (perfect timing, it just got sub-zero and snow storm outside). 28 will definitely fit and maybe 32 as well. DHL smashed up the package with the wheels though, got to get that fixed.... :evil:

The bike feels awesome, can't wait to get it on the road.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    [" 28 will definitely fit and maybe 32 as well. DHL smashed up the package with the wheels though, The bike feels awesome, can't wait to get it on the road.[/quote]

I doubt you will be able to fit 32mm tyres on that fork and caliper brake, could be dangerous. The limiting factor will be not only the clearances on the fork/frame, but also the clearance to the underside of the brake caliper. As an example the Shimano 105 5800 caliper brake has been designed with clearance for a 28mm tyre, your brake calipers may not have been.