does anybody has this multitool?
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/brooks/mt21-multi-tool-ec103203#features
is it good?

Comments

• brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    hello,
    does anybody has this multitool?
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/brooks/mt21-multi-tool-ec103203#features
    is it good?

I havent had that one, but have had similar, Unless you are paying silly money, non of them can be said to be GOOD. adequate in an emergency, provide that what you are trying to undo, isnt very tight, corroded in or other wise difficult to remove. In which case you struggle to find enough leverage and when you do are likey to turn the end off the screw driver or what ever
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Stupid price for a multitool, have a look at Topeak on CRC, decent and much cheaper, that one looks just like a Crank Bros with fancy branding.

And ignore brianbee, as usual. Most are perfectly adequate for most bike jobs.

I often ignore the proper tools at home and end up using a £2.99 jobbie I got from Sainsburys because it's just there and easier.

All you generally need are a few allen keys anyway.

I prefer a separate chain tools - Parktools Minibrute is excellent and about a tenner.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I have had a Topeak Alien for about the last 15 years it had been really good,the chain tool is pretty good as well,but I can see why Cooldad prefers a separate one,i have not knackered any bolt heads with it yet

this one should be enough for what you need
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/topeak-hexus-ii-folding-tool/rp-prod47016
  • Bought one from on one for the hefty sum of £5.99. Has all the things you will ever need for a trailside repair. Quality seems decent enough too.
  • thank you all. i ll take your advice
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    The Hexus isnt a bad tool I went with the Topeak 18+ which is pretty similar. It has a chain breaker but like cooldad I prefer a proper one the little ones on multi tools tend to be hard to use.
  • schmako
    schmako Posts: 1,982
    + 1 on alien, had my alien II for about 10 years,still going strong and saved me many a time.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    At that price it would have to make me a coffee and fix my bike for me while I sit back and relax.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    +1 for Topeak Hexus, very good.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I have a Lezyne, compact, fairly light, works well and even the chain splitter is perfectly useable (If a little slower than a dedicated) trailside.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Topeak alien 2 here, love it. well put together tool with pretty much everything I've ever needed on the trail to get me moving.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    For me something like the Topeak Ratchet Rocket is far better than a combined tool, when you actually need to use tools trailside then the combined options are just too fiddly, you also have the option to add the Allen/torx bits that fit your bike.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • i bought a topeak hexus 16. time will tell how good it is :))
  • broona
    broona Posts: 414
    The Topeak Alien 3 is on offer, £19.99 delivered at Wheelies, ordered one yesterday - http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p33171/Topeak-Alien-3-Multi-Tool.aspx

The reviews don't seem to be as good as for the Alien 2 but it was cheaper...
  • I don't know if the newer Topeaks are any better, but I had one of the original Alien multitools and it was rubbish quality. The chain tool broke and tyre levers broke after a couple of uses, in both cases a brittle fracture right through the material. The mechanism that locks the two halves together is knackered too. I don't consider myself to be hard on tools - I have quite a collection, have built and rebuilt several bikes, and don't recall breaking or damaging any other tools other than a couple of cheap philips screwdrivers. It was the one that looked like this:
    Topeak_Alien.jpg

I have never used a mult-tool chain tool or tyre lever since and carry separates.

I've been pleased with the SKS multitool that I have, although the bolts on the sides need occasional tightening.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I don't know if the newer Topeaks are any better, but I had one of the original Alien multitools and it was rubbish quality. The chain tool broke and tyre levers broke after a couple of uses, in both cases a brittle fracture right through the material. The mechanism that locks the two halves together is knackered too. I don't consider myself to be hard on tools - I have quite a collection, have built and rebuilt several bikes, and don't recall breaking or damaging any other tools other than a couple of cheap philips screwdrivers. It was the one that looked like this:
    Topeak_Alien.jpg

I have never used a mult-tool chain tool or tyre lever since and carry separates.

I've been pleased with the SKS multitool that I have, although the bolts on the sides need occasional tightening.

I have had one of those for about 15 years never had a seconds trouble with it
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Whilst I use my Hexus chain tool in preference to the single one I've got, far nicer to use. Tyre levers are shit and brittle, but I'd avoid using any levers at all costs anyway.