Upgrade Shimano CS-HG62-10 to CS-M771

ADarkDividedGem
ADarkDividedGem Posts: 3
edited December 2015 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I am experiencing chain slippage on the smallest cog on my rear chain set while the chain itself doesn't show any sign of stretching I thought its time to get a new chain set. I have a MERIDA CROSSWAY 900
http://www.merida-bikes.com/en_int/bikes/cross/cross/2014/crossway-900-363.html

Which has a "Shimano CS-HG62-10 11-34" and while I could order an exact replacement I was wondering if I could upgrade it to something like the "SHIMANO XT Cassette 10-speed CS-M771 11-36". Would that be compatible with my current configuration? Otherwise I am welcome to suggestions of any other alternative upgrade that will work.

Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It will be fine, but you may need to lengthen the chain by an extra pair of links, given the price of a cassette v a chain though I'd be replacing the chain regardless.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • No reason at all why that shouldn't work; it'll just be a direct swap. Usually wise to replace the chain at the same time to avoid the old chain wearing the new cassette excessively.
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • Thank you both for that reassurance and for advising I also renew my chain. I now have both on order and look forward to getting them fitted.

Thanks again