What's with the wheel sizes?

Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper Posts: 420
edited December 2015 in MTB general
I've been out of the loop for a few years as far MTB's go due to an injury.
I'm now looking at getting a new bike either a full Susser or a hard tail, I've a budget of up to £1300.
What's bugging me is wheel size when I was riding 29ers were coming out but now I've noticed there's also 650b and 27.5.
What's suited to what and what's the reasons behind the sizes.
I know I can ask this in the shops but I don't want to be guided towards what they have in stock.

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    650b is 27.5"
    Test ride some bikes to see what you like. There's also 650b+ and 29+ and boost hubs.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    A cynic may say it's a way for bike companies to make more money :|

From my basic knowledge:

26" - standard size for years
    29" - roll better and make climbing easier, downside wheels can be flexible, makes tight turns awkward, may cause issues with frame geometry due to their large size???
    650b/27.5 - compromise between the 2
    Fat tyres - gay

I have a 29er, great for long XC rides where you just want to munch miles, not ideal for places with tight twisty tracks although you do get the hang of it. if you were looking for a bike I would maybe say 650 would be the best option as it's the most future proof and there is more stuff availble in 650 fitment, it's seems to be the more standard size these days, but 29" defo has advantages.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    29er for XC racing - big wheels always roll quicker

Plus size will become the 'norm' for most MTBs

Fatbikes for people who want to go where the others can't
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ^^^ that's all fact?
  • rockmonkeysc
    According to the marketing rubbish last year everyone was going to be buying plus size this year. My local shop can't shift them and I haven't actually seen one being ridden yet. I very much doubt they will become the norm, ride in muddy conditions on a 2.5" tyre and you will understand why.
    Fat bikes are just for weirdos and perverts.
  • Thanks all
    I might give the 27.5 go at the local shop as I'll be mainly up afan as its on my door step.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    According to the marketing rubbish last year everyone was going to be buying plus size this year. My local shop can't shift them and I haven't actually seen one being ridden yet. I very much doubt they will become the norm, ride in muddy conditions on a 2.5" tyre and you will understand why.
    Fat bikes are just for weirdos and perverts.

This ^^^^

Except for the fat bikes bit. Good for snow or (more pertinently to the UK) bikepacking and expeditions. Okay, I admit it, I have a strange & irrational liking for them!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    I love my fatty and i'm a weirdo pervert!
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171
    A wheel is a wheel, buy a bike you like based on which one you like. The rest is just marketing and psychology.
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • JGTR
    A wheel is a wheel, buy a bike you like based on which one you like. The rest is just marketing and psychology.

Not really, big difference between 26 and 29, I much prefer 29"
  • oodboo
    oodboo Posts: 2,171

Is that because of the bike it's attached to though?
    I love horses, best of all the animals. I love horses, they're my friends.

Strava
  • rockmonkeysc

It depends on the bike. There's very little difference between some 27.5" bikes and some 29" bikes (let's ignore 26", they've been killed off by manufacturers). Some of the enduro type 29ers are now feeling a lot like 27.5" bikes. If you rode a Stumpjumper 29 you would struggle to feel the difference with the big wheels until it comes to technical climbs.
    The only reason I don't have a 29er is that unless I buy carbon wheels I end up with a very heavy wheel to get the strength I want. At least 27.5" wheels and tyres are lighter.
  • JGTR

Is that because of the bike it's attached to though?

Compared against my 26" and other 26" I've ridden the difference is huge, haven't ridden a 27.5 so can't comment, probably quite similar I would image, there are some major things I don't like about the 29" - it's not great at the tight stuff, but good for munching miles doing XC.

But get what you mean, marketing and psychology probably plays the biggest part in any bike choice whether you realise it or not. Same with kitesurfing which I've been doing for 10 odd years, pretty much advanced as far as it can now and each years kite is in reality just a rehash of last years or tech gets recycled.
  • rockmonkeysc
    You say that 29ers aren't good at tight stuff and are best as xc bikes. Could it be that you don't know how to ride them? 29ers have been used to win the UK Gravity Enduro series and I have ridden with a few 29er riders who can get down a tight trail as quick as anyone can. They take a bit of force but if you can ride them properly they have no problems on twisty trails.
    I do know someone with a 29er Stumpjumper who used big wheels as an excuse for being a useless rider until he got completely shown up by a lad on the same bike who absolutely destroyed him on tight, steep switchbacks all day. He keeps quiet now.
  • JGTR
    You say that 29ers aren't good at tight stuff and are best as xc bikes. Could it be that you don't know how to ride them? 29ers have been used to win the UK Gravity Enduro series and I have ridden with a few 29er riders who can get down a tight trail as quick as anyone can. They take a bit of force but if you can ride them properly they have no problems on twisty trails.
    I do know someone with a 29er Stumpjumper who used big wheels as an excuse for being a useless rider until he got completely shown up by a lad on the same bike who absolutely destroyed him on tight, steep switchbacks all day. He keeps quiet now.

Yes, it's probably because I don't know how to ride it, I don't get out to ride much but more I do better I'm getting, it's a confidence thing, need to maintain more speed as I go slow which is more unstable. Looking at a skills course next year.....but as a direct comparison to my 26 I find the 29 a lot harder.
  • I prefer my old 26" bike ovee my 29". There is a hugh difference in handling. Just think about it the pivot point is much higher with bigger wheels which is obviously less stable. Saying that I ride the newer 29" bike as it is newer and I paid a mint for it - I am still hoping that I get used to it but after 6months riding I am still no happier. Dont forget some manufactures only have 29" for larger riders and then 27" for the small in the same model.
    Stay positive people :)
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380

Yes, it's probably because I don't know how to ride it, I don't get out to ride much but more I do better I'm getting, it's a confidence thing, need to maintain more speed as I go slow which is more unstable. Looking at a skills course next year.....but as a direct comparison to my 26 I find the 29 a lot harder.

29ers like my xc hardtail ride a little differently on twisty single track than smaller wheeled bikes. Once you get used to it they can be fast and smooth but often taking different lines and turning slightly earlier
  • I do know someone with a 29er Stumpjumper who used big wheels as an excuse for being a useless rider until he got completely shown up by a lad on the same bike who absolutely destroyed him on tight, steep switchbacks all day. He keeps quiet now.

That doesn't mean that 29" wheels aren't less easy to manoeuvre in tight stuff. Same as someone being faster up a hill on a heavier bike doesn't mean that the weight of the bike makes no difference on climbs. There are small but significant differences, but I agree that rider skill/fitness are more significant than both.

I'm still a retro-grouch on 26" wheels. Don't have the money to buy a new new bike any time soon. A 29er would probably be slightly better for the kind of riding I enjoy most though (XC), so when the time comes, I'll be looking at them. There will probably be 50 wheel standards (diameter, axle type, axle length, tyre size...), 100 bottom bracket standards, 42 headset standards, 10 brake mounts, 5 bar sizes, 4 pedal/crank interfaces, 6 cassette widths, etc etc by the time I could buy a new new bike though... so maybe I'll just stick with what I've got, which won't be any more obsolete than a new bike after 2 years. Wretched bike industry!