Death of deep mined coal in Britain.

13»

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,598
    Yawn, another thread re-routed onto a "bash the bankers" topic.
    People had let it die.
    However, if the cap fits.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172
    You'd think that lefties would be happy for the bankers. After all, the investment banks seem to be run for the benefit of their very well paid workers :D with shareholders getting stiffed in a periodic basis.

Surely they're not just jealous of people who get paid well? :wink:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    You'd think that lefties would be happy for the bankers. After all, the investment banks seem to be run for the benefit of their very well paid workers :D with shareholders getting stiffed in a periodic basis.

Yup the shareholders truly got stiffed. Including your and mine pension plans. This had to be one of the biggest transfers of cash from the wealthy to the poor ever, all driven by the greed of a number of bankers in it purely for themselves. Funny to think such a bunch of ardent right wind idiots did the left's work for them so effectively- but then incompetence knows no bounds.

And bailed out by a Labour government who didn't even have the guts to let each banks go bankrupt at 23.59 and refloat at 00.01 with every employee made redundant and rehired at a reasonable salary rate for what they did. Talk about protecting their own and where they will be going when out of office.

At least the Americans had the guts to let Lehman go to the wall as a message as to what happens if you don't co-operate.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,172

Yup the shareholders truly got stiffed. Including your and mine pension plans. This had to be one of the biggest transfers of cash from the wealthy to the poor ever, all driven by the greed of a number of bankers in it purely for themselves. Funny to think such a bunch of ardent right wind idiots did the left's work for them so effectively- but then incompetence knows no bounds.

And bailed out by a Labour government who didn't even have the guts to let each banks go bankrupt at 23.59 and refloat at 00.01 with every employee made redundant and rehired at a reasonable salary rate for what they did. Talk about protecting their own and where they will be going when out of office.

At least the Americans had the guts to let Lehman go to the wall as a message as to what happens if you don't co-operate.
    Yes the US let Lehmann go to the wall. The US govt also did bail out several US financial institutions if your recall. So where's the big difference?

And as for your claim that you could just let a bank fold, let everyone go and rehire them, you know as well as I do that it simply isn't that simple. For starters you would need to acquire the shares Then employment laws, minority shareholder protection rules. And so on.

Also your statement about hiring everyone at a 'reasonable rate' smacks of exactly the sort of jealousy I mentioned above that drives a lot of the banker bashing that we see.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Here i agree with steve0, the collapse of Lehmans probably helped cause the GFC and on seeing the effects the lehmans collapse, Gov 's worldwide, decided to not to allow more banks to fold.

the mistake was to allow so many bankers and CEO's to get off scot free, though if they broke no laws, then thats difficult too.