What lube?!

thebadgerboy1982
thebadgerboy1982 Posts: 266
edited December 2015 in Workshop
Hi all,

Im suffering from a bad case of the creaks coming from the seatpost clamp. Its a 3t doric post with a carbon railed saddle. Im using muc-off carbon gripper and all seems well with it. I think the problem is from the base plate (not sure what else to call it!) as there appears to be paint scuffs where the two parts meet so the creak must be coming from there. Ive used anti seize park stuff and its not quite as bad. I was thinking of trying a new grease for it but I'm not sure what to use? Morgan blue calcium, mud-off bio?
Whats the best all rounder out there?! It will be used in all conditions..

Thanks
Ross

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    If you need some kind of grease/lubrication to prevent unwanted noise on non-moving parts then you know: The design/build quality is bad.
    Trying to make the fit of the parts better is step 1. < remove paint scuffs.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,166
    base plate? do you mean the clamp that holds the post in the seat tube, or the clamp that holds the saddle to the post?

grease/antiseize are not a good idea, they'll increase the force needed to prevent the post or saddle slipping

remove post, saddle etc.

clean everything, including threads of the screws/clamp, a wire coat hanger bent to hold a bit of cloth is good for inside the seat tube

inspect for damage/wear, if the saddle clamp has come loose from the post (some are glued) you may need to replace it

if ok, smear assembly paste over the length of the post that'll be in the frame, you can also put a smidge on saddle rails where they're clamped
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny