Alternatives to Garmin connect

letap73
letap73 Posts: 1,608
edited December 2015 in Road general
Although the Garmin connect website - when working - does what I want it to do, the last few times I have tried to upload activities /download courses/play about with the interface etc it doesn't sync or respond. Occasionally everything appears to work so for a period of time I can achieve what I want - so no user error.

I also use Ridewithgps which works perfectly well - but it doesn't have the full functions of Garmin Connect.

Are there any alternative websites/software which I can link to my Garmin 800 to?

Comments

• ForumNewbie
    ForumNewbie Posts: 1,664
    Strava is a very popular site for downloading your rides. Can get addictive though comparing yourself to others, and seeing where you are on the leaderboards of Segments.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    What do you want it to do?

Personally I use Strava and Training Peaks which cover the things I want. I pay for TP but there is a free option as well which still has useful features.
  • I've noticed recently that with Garmin Express installed, all I have to do is plug in my Edge 800, and the rides are automatically synced not just with Garmin Connect, but Strava and RideWithGPS as well.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I am looking to use the workout feature more and see if I can stick to a training plan. I am already a member of Strava but I am not very interested in segments, KOM etc -however I have noticed the premium account appears to offer workouts and training plans which is more the sort of thing I am looking at. Not familiar with training peaks so will have a good look at that.
  • jrich
    jrich Posts: 278
    Are you aware of Starva's route builder feature? I use that now instead of Garmin Connect, it's quite a bit better and you can choose to stick to the most popular roads which is very useful if you're plotting a route into unknown territory.

My Strava account is also linked to my garmin connect so each time I upload a ride it gets sent over automatically - I dont even have to visit the Garmin site anymore - Wahoooo!!
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I am looking to use the workout feature more and see if I can stick to a training plan. I am already a member of Strava but I am not very interested in segments, KOM etc -however I have noticed the premium account appears to offer workouts and training plans which is more the sort of thing I am looking at. Not familiar with training peaks so will have a good look at that.

The Training plans are much the same as the Time Crunched Cyclist ones.
  • I am looking to use the workout feature more and see if I can stick to a training plan. I am already a member of Strava but I am not very interested in segments, KOM etc -however I have noticed the premium account appears to offer workouts and training plans which is more the sort of thing I am looking at. Not familiar with training peaks so will have a good look at that.

The Training plans are much the same as the Time Crunched Cyclist ones.

There is a reason for that.....
  • Are you aware of Starva's route builder feature? I use that now instead of Garmin Connect, it's quite a bit better and you can choose to stick to the most popular roads which is very useful if you're plotting a route into unknown territory.

My Strava account is also linked to my garmin connect so each time I upload a ride it gets sent over automatically - I dont even have to visit the Garmin site anymore - Wahoooo!!
    Do you know if it is possible to get routes that you build on Strava to import elevation data into your Garmin? I used to really like this feature in Bikeroutetoaster - when you were riding in new areas, it would show you how far up an unfamiliar climb you were. Now Bikeroutetoaster is no more, I mapped a route on Strava for the first time this weekend. While the elevation data is shown on the Strava web browser, it didn't show on the Garmin (I imported it as a .tcx file).
  • drewesq
    drewesq Posts: 137
    Does anyone know if the Strava Route Builder works on the Garmin 20/25?

Thanks
    Cannondale CAADX Disc 2014 Tiagra - Blue
    Charge Plug 0
    Voodoo Bizango 2015
    Ridgeback World Tour (mainly for commuting and holidays)
    :mrgreen:
  • Do you know if it is possible to get routes that you build on Strava to import elevation data into your Garmin? I used to really like this feature in Bikeroutetoaster - when you were riding in new areas, it would show you how far up an unfamiliar climb you were. Now Bikeroutetoaster is no more, I mapped a route on Strava for the first time this weekend. While the elevation data is shown on the Strava web browser, it didn't show on the Garmin (I imported it as a .tcx file).

You can certainly do this with RideWithGPS. In my experience the total Elevation Gain of a planned route is usually overestimated by approx. 10% but the profile shows up fine on my Edge 800.I stopped using the Garmin Connect Courses Planner when they introduced those damned Garmin Segments and when you followed a route made on GC it would constantly notify you about the start and end of any that you crossed and gave you an annoying extra summary screen, none of which you could disable. IMO they essentially destroyed one of their own core features (i.e. route planning) for one of their vanity projects (i.e. segments)
  • Do you know if it is possible to get routes that you build on Strava to import elevation data into your Garmin? I used to really like this feature in Bikeroutetoaster - when you were riding in new areas, it would show you how far up an unfamiliar climb you were. Now Bikeroutetoaster is no more, I mapped a route on Strava for the first time this weekend. While the elevation data is shown on the Strava web browser, it didn't show on the Garmin (I imported it as a .tcx file).

You can certainly do this with RideWithGPS. In my experience the total Elevation Gain of a planned route is usually overestimated by approx. 10% but the profile shows up fine on my Edge 800.I stopped using the Garmin Connect Courses Planner when they introduced those damned Garmin Segments and when you followed a route made on GC it would constantly notify you about the start and end of any that you crossed and gave you an annoying extra summary screen, none of which you could disable. IMO they essentially destroyed one of their own core features (i.e. route planning) for one of their vanity projects (i.e. segments)

Thanks for that. I've played on RidewithGPS before, but given up as on the free version I can't reliably make it delete or edit waypoints. Sometimes it lets me turn them blue and drag/delete, sometimes it won't. It drove me nuts!
  • I wish a program existed that just operated on my computer without any need for the Web and stored all my data with out the Web. If I realised the garmin Web dependancy I would not have bought it.
  • I'm with you Vaughan1, but I've never found anything. I have written an Excel spreadsheet that goes some way to solving the problem. It requires that you enter details from the Garmin (speeds, mileage, time & cadence) and it then produces graphs, averages, mins & max figures, times etc, mileages between maintenance issues and it can cope with the use of 2 bikes. I'm still developing it though.
  • ForumNewbie
    I wish a program existed that just operated on my computer without any need for the Web and stored all my data with out the Web. If I realised the garmin Web dependancy I would not have bought it.
    With the first Garmin I had (Edge 305 I think), you installed Garmin software to your PC, which enabled you to download the rides to just your own PC hard drive, and get the usual data and graphs that you see on Garmin Connect or Strava. It seems strange that option is no longer available if that is the case.
  • I wish a program existed that just operated on my computer without any need for the Web and stored all my data with out the Web. If I realised the garmin Web dependancy I would not have bought it.
    With the first Garmin I had (Edge 305 I think), you installed Garmin software to your PC, which enabled you to download the rides to just your own PC hard drive, and get the usual data and graphs that you see on Garmin Connect or Strava. It seems strange that option is no longer available if that is the case.
    I used cyclemeter pro on my phone which is great but I am not computer savy enough to import the garmin to it.
    I have exported the garmin to excel. But there's no maps.
    I would buy soft wear if it was available.
  • Do you know if it is possible to get routes that you build on Strava to import elevation data into your Garmin?

Try creating the route on Strava then running it through gpsies to add elevation.

http://www.gpsies.com/convert.do
  • Do you know if it is possible to get routes that you build on Strava to import elevation data into your Garmin?

Try creating the route on Strava then running it through gpsies to add elevation.

Thanks, that worked great. I wasn't sure if it would still do the turn by turn instructions, but took it out for a test ride today and all worked well.
    The only remaining problem is that on the Strava site it makes a reasonable estimate (based on my recent rides, I think) as to how long it will take. By the time it is imported into the Garmin 810, it has chanaged this - last time, it reckoned it would take me 109 hours to ride a 49 mile loop! Anyone worked out how to change this?
  • ForumNewbie
    edited December 2015
    I remember now that it was Garmin Training Centre software that I had loaded on to my PC from a CD that came with my first Garmin. It just downloaded rides from the Garmin direct to the software on my PC, and gave you the same stats and graphs you now get online with Garmin Connect or Strava, and it seems you can still get it here:
    http://garmin-training-center.soft32.com/

Thanks, that worked great. I wasn't sure if it would still do the turn by turn instructions, but took it out for a test ride today and all worked well.
    The only remaining problem is that on the Strava site it makes a reasonable estimate (based on my recent rides, I think) as to how long it will take. By the time it is imported into the Garmin 810, it has chanaged this - last time, it reckoned it would take me 109 hours to ride a 49 mile loop! Anyone worked out how to change this?
    In courses use edit then change the avg speed to something sesable
  • In courses use edit then change the avg speed to something sesable

Or add the speed setting in gpsies, I usually stick in 24kmh or 15mph, depending how european I'm feeling.
  • In courses use edit then change the avg speed to something sesable

Or add the speed setting in gpsies, I usually stick in 24kmh or 15mph, depending how european I'm feeling.
    I can't get the gpsies speed setting to carry over into the Garmin - I'm exporting as a gpx track. It's interesting that others have got it to work, though, so I shall keep trying. What I miss, though, is the setting in bikeroutetoaster that used to be elevation-sensitive; in other words, it would ask you how much to adjust the average speed according to the amount of height gained, which gave a much more realistic virtual partner, than one that just chugs along at a steady speed regardless of the gradient.