Which commuter bike quiz.

tangled_metal
tangled_metal Posts: 4,021
edited January 2016 in Commuting chat
Anyone tried the commuter bike quiz in news section? I did it and got tourer then I switched one detail from roads with rough bits to mostly off-road. That gave me the answer road bike. Basically a tourer for when I commute on the road or a road bike for when I commute off road. Something doesn't sound right there. A good tourer should take more off road than a road bike. The clue is in the name, road bike not off road bike.

Anyone else got strange results?

Comments

• byke68
    byke68 Posts: 1,070
    Spot on for me. I have a cross bike and a MTB.
    I have a choice of routes, mostly on waggonways and assorted dirt tracks and paths but I mix them up with some roads with crap surfaces.
    Cannondale Trail 6 - crap brakes!
    Cannondale CAAD8
  • edrobbin
    edrobbin Posts: 173
    It told me I should be on a road bike. How rude.
    Waterloo - White City

Cannondale Quick Carbon 1 2016
    Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 3 26" (Lefty) :D
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    Flat bar hybrid?! The cheek!

Who does it think I am, edrobbin? :roll: :wink:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • I just find it strange they think a road bike is better for riding mostly off road than a tourer.I have taken av road bike off road once over forest of Bowland and later on easy tracks but it was forever needing to have its wheels trued.
  • RussAlf
    RussAlf Posts: 706
    It was spot on for me, Adventure Road bike. I ride a Kinesis Tripster ATR.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,252
    I got adventure road bike, but I ride a cross bike they're completely different. Hang on, they're the same. I just got mine before they invented a new name for it.
  • London Road is my bike. Is that road, adventure, cross? Racing bike shaped object I suppose but not a tourer like they first recommended. Just because I like to use a single pannier for my commute. Change from rough road to off road and it's a simple road bike.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Linky? Can't find it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Linky? Can't find it!

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/which-type-of-bike-should-i-buy-for-commuting-45993/

They have moved it to Features, rather than news.

And they suggest a tourer for me, which I agree with, but I'm riding a BTWIN 500 SE Roadie for initial outlay reasons.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Touring bike - so wrong......to be fair the riding position on my Hybrid is pretty much the same as a tourer anyway!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • E-bike or adventure bike, depending upon whether I want to ride at a leisurely pace, or feel the burn!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    Raleigh Grifter apparently...... I must have done something wrong. ;-) :-)
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Touring bike for me or Adventure Road if I change from a pannier to backpack. Both of which would be fair enough as long as they've not got canti's I'm in.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Recommends a tourer for me but wouldn't really have mattered as I've already ordered a Kona Roadhouse which ticks the road/light tourer/adventure/gravel bike boxes.

Santa will be coming a bit late for me as it does not arrive until mid January :(
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    It was spot on for me, Adventure Road bike. I ride a Kinesis Tripster ATR.

That's the current object of my desire - what's it like? any problems?
  • menthel
    menthel Posts: 2,484
    E-bike! That thing is flipping rubbish. Almost as much as the crap people swallow about bike sub genres dreamed up by the bloody bike firms and media...
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.