Giant Yukon or Land Rover Zamora?

Caty
Caty Posts: 4
edited December 2015 in MTB beginners
Hi all.

I'm a newbie and looking to buy a second hand bike for my other half. He's a big bloke, 6ft 2 and about 18 stone. He needs something strong and comfortable as he hasn't ridden for a long time. I have seen an old Giant Yukon for sale and also a Land Rover Discovery Zamora. Unfortunately I don't know the year.

Any thoughts as to which might be the best bike in terms of build quality etc? I'm veering towards the giant but he is a Land Rover fan...

Thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Land Rover bikes are generally total rubbish with a Land Rover sticker on them. They have nothing to do with the car, just a marketing ploy.
    So the Giant is probably the better bike, but without knowing the model, condition, what might have been changed etc it's impossible to say.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • brianbee
    brianbee Posts: 330
    Hi all.

I'm a newbie and looking to buy a second hand bike for my other half. He's a big bloke, 6ft 2 and about 18 stone. He needs something strong and comfortable as he hasn't ridden for a long time. I have seen an old Giant Yukon for sale and also a Land Rover Discovery Zamora. Unfortunately I don't know the year.

Any thoughts as to which might be the best bike in terms of build quality etc? I'm veering towards the giant but he is a Land Rover fan...

Thanks
    How much are you thinking a spending ?, Ive seen second hand bikes for sale at more than the new price and many old Knockers at not much less
    Give your budget and Il give you a guess what what you could expect for that money
  • Caty
    Thanks guys.

I'm not looking to spend much, between £50 and £100. We just need a study and comfortable ride for him to get back into cycling and then if he likes it i'm sure he can get something better in time.

We were originally looking at hybrid bikes as he wants to be fairly upright and will be doing road miles, but he is a heavy chap and I thought a mountain bike would be sturdier. also, very few decent second hand hybrids out there.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Lots of good sturdy hybrids, have a look for a Carrera Gryphon, it uses the same wheels as some MTB's and is pretty tough but fairly quick, my commuter is based on a Gryphon frame.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Caty
    Thanks. Carrera Gryphon looks good.