B'Twin or Giant

Scotty14
Scotty14 Posts: 7
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
I’m looking to replace my 13 year old Cannondale next year. The B’Twin Ultra 920 has caught my eye at 2k, has good kit for the money, gets great reviews and I like its distinctive frame. The 2016 Giant TCR Pro1 will also be a great bike, with very similar kit but costing circa 700 quid more.
Does anyone have a good reason to justify the extra expenditure of the Giant?

Comments

• dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    As much as I love my Btwin Alur 700 and it has served it's purpose in introducing me to the world of road bikes admirably, I don't think I could part with £2k on a Btwin bike. For the money I personally think the design is a bit basic on the higher end bikes whereas the mainstream brands seem to be thinking out of the box a little more.
  • Thanks for replying.
  • TerryCTR
    TerryCTR Posts: 143
    Although it gets decent reviews I couldn't spend that on a BTwin myself.

What about the 2015 TCR-very nice bike in the flesh so much so I was tempted by it myself

http://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/giant-tcr-advanced-pro-1-compact-road-bike-2015-p258480?gclid=CNnVlaOc5skCFUKeGwod6JQODQ
    Giant Propel Advanced Pro 2
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Why does the B'Twin love fall off at a certain price point?
    Do B'Twin fanboys feel the same about this?
  • Elfed
    Elfed Posts: 459
    I’m looking to replace my 13 year old Cannondale next year. The B’Twin Ultra 920 has caught my eye at 2k, has good kit for the money, gets great reviews and I like its distinctive frame. The 2016 Giant TCR Pro1 will also be a great bike, with very similar kit but costing circa 700 quid more.

Giant have a lifetime warranty on their frames, don't know if Btwin offer that.
  • I've not checked the warranty issue, but for value for money the B'Twin Ultra 920 looks hard to beat. Great review by Cycling Plus, and I like the Mavic Mavic Ksyrium Elite S wheels.

I'd have no issues with soening 2k on a B'Twin, or indeed 3k for the Ultra 940 with Ultegra D12 and Mavic Ksyrium SLR wheels if I had the budget.
  • dstev55
    dstev55 Posts: 742
    I've not checked the warranty issue, but for value for money the B'Twin Ultra 920 looks hard to beat. Great review by Cycling Plus, and I like the Mavic Mavic Ksyrium Elite S wheels.

I'd have no issues with soening 2k on a B'Twin, or indeed 3k for the Ultra 940 with Ultegra D12 and Mavic Ksyrium SLR wheels if I had the budget.

Then buy the Btwin, it seems your mind is already made up!
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    ^ Agree.

You have already decided that you prefer the BTwin, the mavic wheels sway it for you.
  • Your right guy's, thanks for contributing :D
  • Why does the B'Twin love fall off at a certain price point?

Are their any BTwin fanboys? I got the impression people just like the triban cause it's good value. With that rep - good quality cheap option - there nothing left once they get dear.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Mate at work had the full carbon framed one with sram red groupware a couple of years ago and loved it. Pity the club and TT lands didn't, he took them apart on it with flat pedals no less. Very light and comfortable bikes with good reputation, but not so big in UK as in France.

Just to add to the above, BTwin bikes were ridden in the 2007 Tour de France - I think one of the riders won a stage so they have garnered some heritage.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/cycling-weekly/btwin-facet-7-road-bike-121042
  • Anonymous
    edited December 2015
    Mate at work had the full carbon framed one with sram red groupware a couple of years ago and loved it. Pity the club and TT lands didn't, he took them apart on it with flat pedals no less. Very light and comfortable bikes with good reputation, but not so big in UK as in France.

And this means what exactly? :roll:

What did he love more, the frame or bits bolted onto it?

Why did he not have a cheap basic groupset to match the cheap frame and basic pedals?
    What exactly did the club and TT lads say to him to show their dislike for the bike?

It seems to me that a lot of twisted individuals buy Tribans to go out and prove a non point lol.
    The bike and riders ability are separate things IMO.
    He would of beat them on a nice bike.
    Triban + flat pedals = insecurity issues IMO
  • Anonymous
    Why does the B'Twin love fall off at a certain price point?

Are their any BTwin fanboys? I got the impression people just like the triban cause it's good value. With that rep - good quality cheap option - there nothing left once they get dear.

Sure there are. People love the comfort of buying a full list price bike in a supermarket.
    They all then have a big love in to make themselves feel great.
    I am not entirely convinced that it is that good value unless you want the comfort of buying at list price in a supermarket though.

I would say the higher spec ones were a better buy, but would just seek out a sale bike personally

BTwin, Specialized and Isla Bikes have the most aggressive Fanbase IMO. They really need the brands to be highly thought of, in a way that owners of other brands just do not give a fook.

Do I give a sh1t if anyone dislikes the brands I have? Hell no :lol:
  • Why does the B'Twin love fall off at a certain price point?

Sure there are. People love the comfort of buying a full list price bike in a supermarket.
    They all then have a big love in to make themselves feel great.
    I am not entirely convinced that it is that good value unless you want the comfort of buying at list price in a supermarket though.

I would say the higher spec ones were a better buy, but would just seek out a sale bike personally

BTwin, Specialized and Isla Bikes have the most aggressive Fanbase IMO. They really need the brands to be highly thought of, in a way that owners of other brands just do not give a fook.

Do I give a sh1t if anyone dislikes the brands I have? Hell no :lol:

Ok thanks that's news to me. Isla and Spesh fans I've encountered but not BTwin - I've always had the impression they were just considered at good cheap options at the lower end it appears there is more to them though.
  • Anonymous
    What, you have never seen a post where someone is looking at buying a half price bike, only to have some BTwin fanboy pipe up with a BTwin suggestion that is nothing like, or as good as what the OP is looking at buying?

Low end Tribans I have seen were very heavy and worth avoiding (unless it has to be list price) IMO.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482

Giant have a lifetime warranty on their frames, don't know if Btwin offer that.
    Coming back to the original question, this is exactly what led me to go for a Giant this year instead of a btwin, I've broken too many frames (alas both times on unwarrantable second hand bikes) to risk it happening to me out of warranty on my good bike.

Still, the mach 720 (which i was considering) does appear to have a 5 year frame warranty, which certainly isn't bad. I think the colour probably also had quite a lot to do with my decision :lol: