Campa Eurus friction

Tom-Ace
Tom-Ace Posts: 4
edited December 2015 in Road buying advice
Hi there,

I just bought a Campa Eurus Wheelset. Or better wheels just arrived.

I took them out of the bags and just rotated them while holding them in my hands. First of all, I was a bit surprised since the wheels didn't spin "forever". On the second hand I could "feel" the bearings in my fingertips/hands from time to time. Since this impression includes the front and rear wheel and both wheels were tested by different personal I guess this isn't something which happened by accident.

It's not that they would stop really quickly, but I expected that they would spin for a much longer time. Can anybody confirm this behavior or did have a similar experience?

Should I have bought the Fulcrum Racing Zeros? They weren't so much more expensive. But since some persons on forums recommended to go with steal bearings I decided to get the Campas, also because of the G3 pattern which I like quite a lot.

Cheers
Tom

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Adjust the berarings according the manual.
    Should feel smooth without play.
    Ignore not spinnig forever , the seals do their work.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Should I have bought the Fulcrum Racing Zeros?

No. Either the wheelset is faulty in which case get an exchange (though I don't think it is) or it is a feature of the wheel. In which case buying an alternative, slightly flashier version of more or less the same wheel from the same manufacturer is probably not going to help!

I would ride them a little before worrying about them not spinning forever.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Thanks for all the answers!

I just called Campa Germany and the technician told me that in order to straigthen the wheels the bearings would be tightened.

So, to use the wheels it seems that you need to adjust the bearing tension by yourself. I expected "Plug and Play" though.

Wired that the tension doesn't get adjusted after all the straightening. Hopefully this won't be too difficult to adjust by myself.

Cheers
    Tom
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    With Campag wheels, you want to set the wheel bearing load with the wheels fitted and quick releases tightened. By tightening the quick releases, the extra load means they can get tighter.

With the wheels in place: Use a hex key to release the bearing collar (just a turn so the collar can rotate). Rotate the collar back a bit (anti-clockwise as you would expect) then tighten it up and stop when the collar bites with very light finger tightness. You can do this with the hex key still in the grub screw, use it as a lever. Then do up the screw just enough so that you can see the two sides of the collar come together.
  • Thanks so much! Just threw away the transport box. Wheels will stay with me. : )